[misc.headlines.unitex] PRESIDENT OF COLUMBIA'S ADDRESS TO THE UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY

unitex@rubbs.UUCP (unitex) (10/28/89)

PRESIDENT OF COLUMBIA'S ADDRESS TO THE UN GENERAL ASSEMBLY

     Posting Date: 10/20/89        Copyright UNITEX Communications, 1989
     UNITEX Network, USA           ISSN: 1043-7932

                     REMARKS BY VIRGILIO BARCO,
                        PRESIDENT OF COLOMBIA
                     TO THE 44TH GENERAL ASSEMBLY
                         OF THE UNITED NATIONS

                        NEW YORK CITY, NEW YORK

                      FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, 1989

     PRESIDENT BARCO  (Remarks appear as translated):  This will be
     the last time I address the General Assembly of the United
     Nations as President of Colombia.  However, I am here today not
     only as president of my country, but also as a citizen of the
     world.

     The terrible carnage of World War II gave birth to this body in
     the hope that nations, standing together, united, could prevent
     the global madness of 50 years ago from ever happening again.
     Since then, in spite of the persistent efforts of the United
     Nations the world over, mankind has continued to follow the
     destructive path of war.

     Only the unimaginable and devastating consequences of nuclear
     war have restrained us from falling once again into a worldwide
     conflagration.  Yet in spite of this uneasy armed peace, thus
     generated, the world has remained at war.  Conflicts generated
     by ideology, poverty, injustice, excessive ambitions and now,
     increasingly, by narcotics have scarred the peace.

     Respect for national sovereignty underlies all our strategic
     thinking;  indeed, it is the basis for these United Nations.  Yet
     now we find this newest threat -- narcotics, and accompanying
     terrorism that pays no respect to borders.  We, the community of
     nations gathered here together, find ourselves under assault
     from an international criminal enterprise that respects none of
     our norms of sovereignty, borders, or laws.

     To meet this new challenge, we must avail ourselves of those
     core founding values of the United Nations.  If we cannot act
     together in the face of this menace, then we will be abetting
     the unrestrained growth in the use of drugs and in the violence
     they generate.  I am certain that Colombia will defeat the drug
     traffickers.  But if this effort is not accompanied by a global
     commitment, then no victory can be achieved.

     The recent global outpouring of solidarity and support for
     Colombia has been a great encourgement to us in these difficult
     times.  A new era is upon us, an era as critical as the one that
     led to the establishment of the United Nations.  A new world war
     is being waged by an aggressor unrestrained by the traditional
     rules of engagement, or by the responsibilities of national
     sovereignty.  This aggressor is an insidious global criminal
     network with enormous power and resources -- a criminal
     enterprise  which feeds on the illegal profits from the
     trafficking of drugs.

     As the Secretary-General of the United Nations said in his
     report to you this year, "Innocent use and traffic of drugs is
     now recognized as a social plague afflicting both developed and
     developing countries.  Although efforts to combat this scourge
     have intensified in recent years, estimates suggest that the
     monetary value of drug-trafficking has recently surpassed that
     of international trade in oil and is second only to the arms
     trade.  It is a chastening observation that humanity is so
     deeply mired in the commerce of degradation and death."  End
     quote.

     The members of these criminal cartels were born in many
     nations.  And many of their leaders are called Colombian, but
     while some may have been in my country, let me be clear:  They
     are Colombian in name alone.  They are international fugitives
     on the run.  They have no home.  Colombia is not their
     homeland.  (Applause.)

 * Origin: UNITEX --> Toward a United Species (1:107/501)

---
Patt Haring                | United Nations    | Screen Gems in
patth@sci.ccny.cuny.edu    | Information       | misc.headlines.unitex
patth@ccnysci.BITNET       | Transfer Exchange |
          -=- Every child smiles in the same language. -=-