[uw.mfcf.people] Fixed /vendor screwup "everywhere"

jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) (08/31/89)

In article <425@maytag.waterloo.edu> accwai@maytag.waterloo.edu (Andy Wai) writes:
>Created a shell script that will fix the /vendor screwup if present.
>Ran on every mfcf machine.  The following machines were fixed:
>
>ccng	grand	rose	spurge	tiger	trillium violet
>vlsi	watale	watcgl	watdcsu	watmsg	watmum	 watpix
>
>There are probably others that's not mfcf machine but got fed the bad
>xh-ln somehow.  Please contact me for the fixvendor script.
>
>Andy

This doesn't describe what the screwup was, so it's kind of
hard to tell if one's machines are affected ...  And apparently
it's not the screwup that I reported to Bill, because dragon
still suffers from that one.

accwai@maytag.waterloo.edu (Andy Wai) (08/31/89)

In article <16197@watdragon.waterloo.edu> jmsellens@watdragon.waterloo.edu (John M. Sellens) writes:
>[...]
>
>This doesn't describe what the screwup was, so it's kind of
>hard to tell if one's machines are affected ...  And apparently
>it's not the screwup that I reported to Bill, because dragon
>still suffers from that one.

The problems fixed by the script are:

1) /vendor got created as a real directory under /, as oppose
   to under /usr and linked to /.

2) /vendor got created with the wrong permission.

This is really unfortunate 'cause the fix to (2) gets applied only
if (1) is detected.  That's why dragon is stilled not fixed.  I'll
do that right away.

As for the contents under /vendor, I don't know nothing about it.

Andy