[uw.mfcf.people] NFS'ing the world

idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (09/01/89)

From: "Ian! D. Allen [CGL]" <idallen>

Are we going to modify NFS to do group and uid mapping on all the
machines on campus, or should we start giving out group and uid
ranges to administrations?

gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) (09/01/89)

In article <11351@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
> Are we going to modify NFS to do group and uid mapping on all the
> machines on campus, or should we start giving out group and uid
> ranges to administrations?

I think we should modify NFS.  Coordinating uids everywhere will create more
bureaucracy.  No fun.

jmberkley@watnext.waterloo.edu (J. Michael Berkley) (09/03/89)

On 1 Sep 89 16:49:06 GMT,gamiddleton@watmath.waterloo.edu (Guy Middleton) said:

In article <11351@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu writes:
> Are we going to modify NFS to do group and uid mapping on all the
> machines on campus, or should we start giving out group and uid
> ranges to administrations?

>> I think we should modify NFS.  Coordinating uids everywhere will
>> create more bureaucracy.  No fun.

Not to mention resolving current UID conflicts - swapping one uid for
another won't be easy if the other uid already exists.  There are ways
to do it, but it will be a colossal hassle.

D. Allen [CGL]) (09/05/89)

Well, if we're going to modify NFS, someone's going to have to get the
source licenses to all the NFS implementations we have on campus and do
the mods.  This will never happen.  We have Ultrix 2.0-1, Ultrix 3.0,
4.3bsd, SGI, and the GatorBox that support NFS connections in CGL.  Or,
are you suggesting that machines for which we don't have source must have
identical passwd and group files?  I can't see how we can avoid dividing
up the uid space.  Is SUN working on this problem?
--
-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu
 129.97.128.64    Computer Graphics Lab/University of Waterloo/Ontario/Canada

rwwetmore@grand.waterloo.edu (Ross Wetmore) (09/06/89)

In article <11381@watcgl.waterloo.edu> idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Ian! D. Allen [CGL]) writes:
>Well, if we're going to modify NFS, someone's going to have to get the
>source licenses to all the NFS implementations we have on campus and do
>the mods.  This will never happen ...
>are you suggesting that machines for which we don't have source must have
>identical passwd and group files?  I can't see how we can avoid dividing
>up the uid space.  Is SUN working on this problem?
>-IAN! (Ian! D. Allen) idallen@watcgl.uwaterloo.ca idallen@watcgl.waterloo.edu

  Presumably the domain partitionning under stock NFS could be used to
segregate the world into various camps. Within a camp you would decide on
whether to go with UW mods or yellow pages or strict partitionning. This
just leaves open the problem of inter-camp access.
  Note that this is a superset of the above and other options which does not
rule out development or arrangements within or between any individual camps.
  However it does depend on UW mods to NFS being done in a clean manner which
does not break, rather only extends and is therefore compatible with, stock
behaviour.

-Ross