[fa.info-vax] "Lost" Blocks

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/20/85)

From: <PMANERA%NYBVX1.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>

Why would DISKQUOTA sho more usage than DIRECTORY/BY on the same device?
DISKQUOTA for one of my users shows 4458 blocks used, but after searching the
entire device (an RA81) I have only been able to locate 4102 blocks using
DIR/BY.  I've run ANAL/DIS/REP, recreated QUOTA.SYS and rebuilt it with the
same results.

Any ideas?
Peter

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/21/85)

From: Richard Garland <OC.GARLAND%CU20B@COLUMBIA.ARPA>

DISKQUOTA counts every block used in the index file against the user.  Thus

	QUOTA_total = DIRECTORY_total +  # files  +  # directories + foo

where foo are extra file headers for fragmented files.  Usually (hopefully)
FOO=0.

Also if you had a crash or othe wierdness, do a REBUILD of the quota file.

I found after initial screaming from my users that they are being gyped
(quota-wise) this formula quiets them down.
					Rg
-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/22/85)

From: ecsvax!jerryr%mcnc.csnet@csnet-relay.ARPA

DIRECTORY ignores the file header blocks in its size count.  ANALY/DISK/USAGE
if read and totaled would probably give you the DISKQUOTA count.  Depending
on your directory specification in the DIR/BY command and your file structure
you could also be missing the size of the user's directory file in [000000].

					Jerry Robinson
					UNC School of Medicine
					UUCP: ...!mcnc!ecsvax!jerryr

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/22/85)

From: Random <decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb@BERKELEY>

In article <9204@ucbvax.ARPA> you write:

>Why would DISKQUOTA sho more usage than DIRECTORY/BY on the same device?
>DISKQUOTA for one of my users shows 4458 blocks used, but after searching the
>entire device (an RA81) I have only been able to locate 4102 blocks using
>DIR/BY.  I've run ANAL/DIS/REP, recreated QUOTA.SYS and rebuilt it with the
>same results.

There is also a 1 block per file overhead in the indexf.sys file that is
charged to that uic. Add the total space shown by dir/by to the number of
files shown and that should be what diskquota shows (Don't forget the
directory file in [000000] if it is there)

---
					Random
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb