[net.followup] SOLUTION: Reading Berkeley tar tape on SYS V

fjh@bentley.UUCP (FJ Hirsch) (08/09/84)

>From daemon Mon Aug  6 19:27 EDT 1984
>>From zehntel!dual!amd!fortune!wdl1!jrb  Mon Aug  6 19:27:24 1984 remote from ihnp4
>Date: Fri, 3-Aug-84 15:24:34 EDT
>From: hudson!wdl1!jrb (jrb )
>Full-Name: A News Morsel
>Subject: Re: WANTED:SYS V tar to read Berkeley ta
>Sender: ihnp4!zehntel!dual!amd!fortune!wdl1!jrb
>Newsgroups: net.unix
>Nf-Id: #R:hudson:-26100:wdl1:1300008:000:826
>Nf-From: wdl1!jrb    Aug  3 11:10:00 1984
>Apparently-To: fjh
>
>There should be no differences between the formats used by System V tar and
>Berkeley tar.  The problem may be that System V tar always does a chown on
>each file to the UID that is stored on the tape.  If it comes from a different
>system, the UID on the tape is probably not your UID.  This means that it can
>create directories that it cannot write in.  Berkeley tar, however, leaves
>everything owned by you as default and you can use a flag to force the other
>behaviour.  If you have source, there are two lines in System V tar which
>need to be changed (grep for chown in the source).  I added a flag and put the
>two lines in if()s on that flag.  If you don't have the source, a superuser can
>read in the tape.  Very annoying.
>
>John R Blaker
>UUCP:...!fortune!wdl1!jrb
>ARPA:jrb@FORD-WDL1
>andblaker@FORD-WDL2

Thanks to everyone who replied to my request.
I managed to read the tape.
The trick was:

dd if=/dev/rmt11 ibs=40k | tar -tvf -

and

dd if=/dev/rmt11 ibs=40k | tar -xvf -

But first I had to make all the directories by hand
(it was the quickest approach in this case)
since tar could not write in the directories it created
since they were all owned by root and did not have write
permission by others.
--

<*> Fred Hirsch <*> AT&T Bell Laboratories <*> ihnp4!bentley!fjh <*>