[alt.fishing] penn state angling professor

EMH101@psuvm.psu.edu (Ed Hankinson) (01/17/90)

Does anyone know the professor that took Joe Humphrey's position as angling
professor at Penn State.  Also, what what are the fishing conditios like across
 the country this summer

terryt@tekigm2.MEN.TEK.COM (Terry Turner) (01/17/90)

In article <90016.133830EMH101@PSUVM.BITNET> EMH101@psuvm.psu.edu (Ed Hankinson) writes:
>Does anyone know the professor that took Joe Humphrey's position as angling
>professor at Penn State.  Also, what what are the fishing conditios like across
> the country this summer

	Boy wouldn't we all dream of having a job like that!  Heavy on the
	lab time 8-).

	If we don't get some more snow to run off here in Oregon, the summer
	water levels will be low, low, low.  Trout fishing should still be
	good this year though.  Very low levels could have an effect on summer
	steelhead fishing.

	The first Spring Chinook was caught in the Willamette 2 weeks ago
	near Oregon City.  There should be some early Chinook along with
	winter steelhead available in the Willamette off the mouth of the
	Clackamas River when the water drops and clears.  I'll be
	ready.  I'm making a new batch of Salmon killing spinners this week.

	Terry Turner

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com (Thomas J. Gilg) (01/18/90)

>	The first Spring Chinook was caught in the Willamette 2 weeks ago
>	near Oregon City.  There should be some early Chinook along with
>	winter steelhead available in the Willamette off the mouth of the
>	Clackamas River when the water drops and clears.  I'll be
>	ready.  I'm making a new batch of Salmon killing spinners this week.

Talking about low water, how about the Steelhead runs.  So far, the Alsea
River I like to hit has had 400 fish to the hatchery, when even an average
year should have had 2,000+ by this time.  So far, I've yet to get a winter
Steelhead on a fly, but I have managed a fair number of cutts.

$BITCH_ON

Clearly the low water conditions have hurt the winter Steelhead runs
to date.  People are also speculating that the drift-net crapola is
also partly to blame.  One local fishing newspaper mentioned that of
the Steelhead being caught, many show signs of net marks.  I hope the
movement to have drift net fishing banned keeps growing.

$BITCH_OFF

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com