[fa.info-vax] File ownership

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/27/85)

From: zar%xhmeia@cit-hamlet.arpa

I'm using VMS V4.1 now and me being the crazy system manager that I am
go helping others by using privs to consult with a user on a problem in
their personal directory without using their account to relogin (all with
permission, of course). Under VMS V1-3 when a user created a file, the
file was owned by the UIC of the person who created the file. Lately,
when I DIRECTORY/OWNER to clean up files I've created in someone elses
directory, all the files are owned by the UIC of the owner of the direc-
tory containing the new files. For example,
	$ SET DEF [SAM]
	$ CREATE X.X
	$ DIRECTORY/OWNER
will show the owner as the owner of the directory [SAM] regardless of
who actually created the file X.X. I noticed, though, this can be changed
by typing SET FILE/OWNER=[newuic] X.X. This is definitely not how VMS/RMS
should work in my opinion. Has anyone else seen this, or can anyone
confirm this (am I hallucinating???)?

						From The Great
						     Zar
						a.k.a. Dan Zirin
						ZAR%XHMEIA@CIT-HAMLET

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/27/85)

From: Gail Rubin <grubin@bbn-spca>

What I have observed with vms 4.0 is that a 'normal' user only
creates files with their own uic, however, if a privileged user
creates files, they seem to get the uic of the directory owner.
I haven't followed this up thoroughly, so I don't know just
which privilege it is that causes this to happen. I suspect
it is sysprv; there may be others.

-- Gail Rubin
(grubin@bbn-spca or @bbn-unix)

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/28/85)

From: (Stephen Tihor) <TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA>

See "Guide to System Security" chapter 4 section 4.

 \\   Stephen Tihor / CIMS / NYU / 251 Mercer Street  / New York, NY 10012  //
((  DEC Enet: RHEA::DECWRL::"""TIHOR@NYU-CMCL1.ARPA"""  NYUnet: TIHOR.CMCL1  ))
 // ARPAnet: Tihor@NYU-CMCL1   UUCPnet address: ...!ihnp4!cmcl2!cmcl1!tihor \\

[It is really a very useful feature.  It makes inplementing project based
quotas nearly trivial and quite painless for the average users.]

-------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/28/85)

From: JERRY LEICHTER <leichter@yale-apvax>

    I'm using VMS V4.1 now and me being the crazy system manager that I am
    go helping others by using privs to consult with a user on a problem in
    their personal directory without using their account to relogin (all with
    permission, of course). Under VMS V1-3 when a user created a file, the
    file was owned by the UIC of the person who created the file. Lately,
    when I DIRECTORY/OWNER to clean up files I've created in someone elses
    directory, all the files are owned by the UIC of the owner of the direc-
    tory containing the new files.

    						From The Great
    						     Zar
    						a.k.a. Dan Zirin
    						ZAR%XHMEIA@CIT-HAMLET

This is indeed a change in VMS Version 4.  A complete discussion of how file
ownership (and file protection) is determined can be found in section 4.4 of
the Guide to VAX/VMS System Security.  In particular, on page 4-39 we find:

	To find a default owner for a file, VAX/VMS considers the following
	sequence of choices and selects the first that yields and owner:

		The owner of a previously existing version of the file;

		The owner of the parent directory;

		The UIC of the file creator.

BTW, I know the VAX/VMS Master Index has its problems, but I found this one on
my first try:  Page Index-118, entry "File owner, how established by default".
There is SOME use to all that paper stuck between the orange binders! :-)

							-- Jerry
						a.k.a.	-- Jerry
-------
------

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (07/28/85)

From: tencati@jpl-vlsi.arpa

Indeed VMS 4.1 assigns ownership of files based on who owns the directory they
are written to.  What I learned in DEC's 4.1 update seminar was that if you
make [SAM] owned by an identifier, and the identifier has the /resource
qualifier, that whoever copies a file into that directory will retain ownership.
I'd have to look up the notes to see the details, but it was possible.  I asked
specifically about maintaining a [public] directory.  I did not want the system
to own the files, but I did want it to own the directory.

Now that I think more on the subject, it wasn't the v4.1 upgrade seminar, it was
a DECUS pre-symposium seminar on security where we discussed this.

I hope I was of some help.  Contact me if you need more details.

Ron Tencati
TENCATI@JPL-VLSI.ARPA

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/02/85)

From: Peter Stokes <stokes%cmc.cdn%ubc.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa>

>	$ SET DEF [SAM]
>	$ CREATE X.X
>	$ DIRECTORY/OWNER
>will show the owner as the owner of the directory [SAM] regardless of
>who actually created the file X.X. I noticed, though, this can be changed
>by typing SET FILE/OWNER=[newuic] X.X. This is definitely not how VMS/RMS
>should work in my opinion. Has anyone else seen this, or can anyone
>confirm this (am I hallucinating???)?
>
>						From The Great
>						     Zar
>						a.k.a. Dan Zirin
>						ZAR%XHMEIA@CIT-HAMLET

Why I don't know,  but what you see came with version 4.*