[sci.energy] Wanted: info on self-contained power systems for houses

jones@sj.ate.slb.com (Clark Jones) (03/14/91)

In article <445@octelb.octel.UUCP> jfd@octel.UUCP (John F. Detke) writes:

>Hello,
>
>I am activly pursuing purchasing a house beyond PG&E power.
>The house currently has a 5 KW generator, batterys and
>a 24 volt converter, and propane refridgerators.
>
>I am interested in starting a discussion, and getting
>any experience with such systems. Items I am particularly
>interested in are: maintenance requirement, battery life,
>generator life, etc. I know most of these are "it depends".

To mis-quote an old TV program, "sci.energy is the place ya wanna be"...

I don't know about Sun's, but computers on inverters is a hot topic in
Home Power (see below).  Apparantly, it boils down to "most computers work
OK, laser-printers don't".  I'd add that I doubt most _old_ (read >5.25")
hard disks would run on an inverter.

Anyway, it's been a few months since I posted this, so here it is.  Hope
it helps.

---------------------------- My standard message on solar ----------------

I see so many requests for info about photovolatics (PV's) and such that I've
put together this "standard reply".

For "how-to" info and "war stories" from people that are living with PV's:

		Home Power Magazine
		POB 130
		Hornbrook, CA  96044-0130

		Rates for 6 issuses (1 year): (U.S. $)
			US: 3rd class shipping - $10
			    1st class shipping - $20
			Canada:	Air - $21, Surface $15
			Mexico: Air - $16, Surface $14
			Central Am., Bahamas, Bermuda, Columbia, Venezuela:
				Air - $21, Surface $15
			So. Am. (ex. Col. & Ven.), Europe, No. Africa:
				Air - $27, Surface $15
			Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Pac. Ocean Islans, Africa
			(ex. No. Africa), Indian Ocean Islands, Middle East:
				Air - $34, Surface $15
		(rates taken from Dec 1990/Jan 1991 issue)

For products:

		Real Goods
		966 E. Mazzoni St.
		Ukiah, CA  95482

		Ph.  1-800-762-7325    FAX 707-468-0301

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed above are mine and not those of Schlumberger
because they are NOT covered by the patent agreement!  My only connection with
either company mentioned above is as a satisfied reader/customer.

Alternate reply path:  jones@sjs.sj.ate.slb.com
Phone: (602) 345-3638
Snail: Clark Jones, Schlumberger Technologies, 7855 S. River Pkwy #116, Tempe,
       AZ  85284-1825