[comp.lang.visual] Summary of *visualization of data structures...*

geltz@dialisp3.ifistg.uucp (Markus Geltz) (03/20/90)

In comp.cog-eng and comp.lang.visual I wrote:

>For my masters thesis (computer science) I am searching for
>literature about:

>* The visualization of data structures like trees, directed acyclic
>  graphs, semantic nets ...

>I plan to survey existing visualization schemes and will try to
>determine conditions for "good" visualizations.

>So, any pointers to existing work will be greatly appreciated.

I promised to summarize the answers and so I did, here they are.
Naturally, I couldn't get and read all of them, so don't blame me if
there are some which aren't correct in this place.

I want to thank all who have answerded me, without their help, I
couldn't do my work. Thanks.

Literature about trees:

Wetherell, Charles, and Shannon, Alfred,
"Tidy Drawings of Trees",
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-5(5),
September 1979, pp. 514-520.

Edward M. Reingold, John S. Tilford,
"Tidier Drawings of Trees",
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-7(2),
March 1981, pp. 223-228.

Supowit Kenneth J., Reingold Edward M.,
"The Complexity of Drawing Trees Nicely"
Acta Informatica 18, 1983, pp. 377-392

Franz J. Brandenburger,
"Nice Drawings of graphics and of trees are computationally hard"
MIP-8820, Sept. 1988, Uni Passau, Fak. f. Mathematik u. Informatik

Literature about graphs (directed and undirected):

Lawrence A. Rowe, Michael Davis, Eli Messinger, Carl Meyer,
Charles Spirakis and Allen Tuan,
"A Browser for Directed Graphs",
Software - Practice and Experience, 17(1),
January 1987, pp. 61-76.

Frances J. Newbery,
"EDGE: An Extendible Directed Graph Editor",
Inst. fuer Programmstrukturen und Datenorganisatio,
Uni Karlsruhe, Interner Bericht Nr. 8/88

Lipton R.J., North S.C., Sandberg, J.S.,
"A Method for Drawing Graphs"
ACM 0-89791-163-6, 85/006/0153

Ganser, North, Vo,
"DAG - A Program that Draws Directed Graphs",
Software - Practice and Experience, 18(11), November 88

Jablonowski, Guarna,
"GMB: A Tool for Manipulating and Animating Graph Data Structures",
Software - Practice and Experience, 19(3), March 89

Gabriel Robins
"The ISI Grapher: a portable tool for displaying graphs pictorially",
Symboliikka '87, Aug. 17-18, Helsinki, Finnland

Karl-Friedrich Boehringer,
"Stabilitaet von Algorithmen fuer Graphenumbruch",
Diplomarbeit, Uni Karlsruhe, 26. Juli 1989

W.T.Tutte,
"How to draw a graph",

Tamassia, Roberto,
"On Embedding a Graph in the Grid with the Minimum Number of Bends",
SIAM J. Computing, 16(3), June 1987, pp. 421-444.

Roberto Tamassia, Giuseppe Di Battista, Carlo Batini,
"automatic graph drawing and readability of diagrams"
IEEE Transactions on systems, man, and cybernetics, Vol SMC-19,
No. 1, Jan/Febr 1988

T. Kamada and S. Kawai,
"An Algorithm for Drawing General Undirected Graphs",
Information Processing Letters, vol. 31, No.1 (1989), pp. 7-15

Literature related to the theme:

C.W. Fraser and A.A. Lopez,
"Editing Data Structures",
ACM Transactions on Programming Languages and Systems, Vol 3(2),
April 1981, pp 115-125

B.A. Myers,
"Displaying Data Structures for Interactive Debugging",
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center,CSL-80-7,
June 1980

Helga Nieper,
"TRISTAN: A Generic Display and Editing System for
 Hierarchical Structures",
Department of Computer Science, University of Colorado, 1985

Reggiani, Marcello G., Marchetti, Franco E. 1988,
"A Proposed Method for Representing Hierarchies",
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. 18, No.1,
January/February 1988, pp. 1-8

Kim M. Fairchild, Steven E. Poltrock, George W. Furnas,
"SemNet",
Cognitive Science And Its Applications for Human-Computer
Interaction, Raymonde Guidon (eds.), Hillsdale, New Jersey, 1988

B.A. Myers,
"INCENSE: A system for displaying data stuctures",
Computer graphics 17(3), July 83

B.A. Myers,
"Visual Programming, Programming by Example and Program
 Visualization: A Taxonomy",
CHI'86 Proceedings,
April 1986, pp 59-66

Sugiyama, Kozo, Tagawa, Shojiro, and Toda, Mitsuhiko,
"Methods for Visual Understanding of Hierarchical System Structures",
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-11(2),
February 1981, pp. 109-125.

Helttula, Hyrskykari and Raiha,
"Graphical Specification of Algorithm Animations with ALADDIN",
Proc HICCS-22 (22nd Annual Hawaii International Conf. on System Sciences),
Kailua/Kona,Hawaii, IEEE Computer Press, Jan 3-6,1989, pp. 892-901.

Eva Hudlicka,
"Visual System Browser"
SIGCHI april 1989, Vol 20, No 4

Kozo Sugiyama, Shojiro Tagawa, Mitsuhiko Toda,
"Methods for visual understanding of hierarchical system structure"
IEEE transaction on systems, man, and cybernetics,
Vol. SMC 11, No. 2, Febr.1981

Carpano, Marie-Jose,
"Automatic Display of Hierarchized Graphs for Computer-Aided
Decision Analysis",
IEEE Transactions on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, SMC-10(11),
November 1980, pp. 705-715.

Batini, Carlo, Nardelli, Enrico, and Tamassia, Roberto,
"A Layout Algorithm for Data Flow Diagrams",
IEEE Transactions on Software Engineering, SE-12(4),
April 1986, pp. 538-546.

K. Halewood, R. Woodward,
"NSEDIT: A syntax-directed Editor and Testing Tool based on
Nassi-Shneiderman Charts",
Software - Practice and Experience, 18(10), October 88

Akin O., Baykan C. and Rao D. R.,
"Structure of a directory space:
a case study with a UNIX operating system",
IJMMS,26,3, 1987

Carroll J. M.,
"Learning, using and designing filenames and
command paradigms",
BIT,1,4, 1982

Furnas George W.,
"Generalized Fisheye Views",
Human Factors in Computing Systems III, ACM Proceedings of
the CHI 86 Conference, Boston, MA, 13-17 April 1986, pp.16-23

Hiroyuki Watanabe,
"Heuristic graph displayer for G-BASE",
Int. J. Man-Machine Studies, 1989, 30, pp.287-302

Stephen Casner, Jeffrey Bonar,
"Using the expert's diagrams as a specification of expertise"
IEEE Workshop on visual languages, 5/1988

Roberto Tamassia,
"New layout techniques for Entity-Relationship diagrams",
IEEE 1985, proceedings of the 4th International Conference on
Entity-Relationship Approach, pp. 304-322, Chicago

David Canter, Rod Rivers, Graham Storrs,
"Characterizing user navigation through complex data structures",
Behavior and information technology, 1985, Vol. 4, No. 2, 93-102

C. Kindermann, Q. Quantz.
"Graphikorientierte Wissensrepraesentation fuer KL-ONE",
TU-Berlin, KIT-Report Nr. 63

G.W.Wolf,
"Weighted Surface Networks and their Application to Cartographic
Generalization",
W.Barth (Hrsg.) Visualisierungstechniken und Algorithmen
Fachgespraech Wien, 26./27. September 1988, Proceedings, pp.199-212

Marie-Jose Carpano,
"Automatic Display of Hierarchized Graphs for Computer-Aided
 Decision Analysis",
IEEE Transaction on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics, Vol. SMC-10
No. 11, November 1980

Joseph Manning, Mikhail J. Atallah,
"Fast Detection and Display of Symmetry in Outplanar Graphs",
Technical Report CSD-TR-606, Jun 1986, Department of
Computer Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, USA

X.Pintado, D.Tsichritzis,
"An Affinity Browser",
'Active Object Environments', D. Tsichritzis (edr), pp172-186

Frances J. Newbery,
"An interface descripton language for graph editors"
Thesis proposal for the author's docotoral research, 1988

Frances J. Newbery,
"Graph Description Language: Reference Manual (draft)"
April 17, 1989

Horst Oberquelle,
"communication by graphic net representations"
Bericht Nr. 75, Institut fuer Informatik, Universitaet Hamburg
Schlueterstr. 70, D-2 HH 13, Maerz 81

Bauer, Boecker, Bunzenhaeuser, Herberg, Maier, Rathke, Ressel, Schwab,
"Einsatz einer anwendungsneutralen Benutzerschnittstelle in einer
Bueroanwendung als Beispiel fuer wissensbasierte M-C-Kommunikation",
Angewandte Informatik, 7/89

Boecker, Fischer, Nieper,
"The Enhancement of Understanding through Visual Representation",
CHI 86 Proceedings
Markus Geltz              email: geltz@informatik.uni-stuttgart.de
		          UUCP:  unido!ifistg!dia!geltz