[fa.info-vax] VMS Ethernet driver

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/03/85)

From: Randy Buckland <decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb@BERKELEY>

Hi,
	I have a rather bizarre problem with a non-DEC ethernet board
	and driver on VMS. The board and driver are from 3-com (who
	does not make them any more) and the driver is from a 3.x
	system and I am running 4.1.  When I load the driver, it should
	create devices ena0-ena7 and they should be usable with qio's.
	It however only creates ena0 and makes it as offline and as
	/NOAVALIABLE. Does this sound familiar to any driver wizards.
	I have next to no documentation on this beast so I don't know if
	I am putting things together right.
---
					Randy Buckland
					Research Triangle Institute
					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/04/85)

From: leichter@yale-apvax

    Hi,
    	I have a rather bizarre problem with a non-DEC ethernet board
    	and driver on VMS. The board and driver are from 3-com (who
    	does not make them any more) and the driver is from a 3.x
    	system and I am running 4.1.  When I load the driver, it should
    	create devices ena0-ena7 and they should be usable with qio's.
    	It however only creates ena0 and makes it as offline and as
    	/NOAVAILABLE. Does this sound familiar to any driver wizards.
    	I have next to no documentation on this beast so I don't know if

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/05/85)

From: Thomas J. Linscomb <linscomb@ut-ngp.ARPA>

>From: Randy Buckland <decvax!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb@Berkeley>
>I have a rather bizarre problem with a non-DEC ethernet board
>and driver on VMS. The board and driver are from 3-com (who
>does not make them any more) and the driver is from a 3.x
>system and I am running 4.1.  When I load the driver, it should
>create devices ena0-ena7 and they should be usable with qio's.
>It however only creates ena0 and makes it as offline and as
>/NOAVALIABLE. Does this sound familiar to any driver wizards.
>I have next to no documentation on this beast so I don't know if
>I am putting things together right.
>					Randy Buckland
>					Research Triangle Institute
>					...!mcnc!rti-sel!rcb

	The NOAVAILABLE sounds like the same problem that the XA driver
had during field test.  This was caused by the "DEV$M_AVL" bit not being
set in the device characteristics field of the UCB.  Below is the
DEVCHAR for the XA driver, make sure that your ethernet driver has
DEV$M_AVL in its UCB definition.

	DPT_STORE UCB,UCB$L_DEVCHAR,L,<-	; Device characteristics
		DEV$M_AVL!-			; Available
		DEV$M_RTM!-			; Real Time device
		DEV$M_ELG!-			; Error Logging enabled
		DEV$M_IDV!-			;   input device
		DEV$M_ODV>			;   output device

BTW, this was a change from v3 to v4.  Under v3 this bit was not checked
and a QIO could have been issued to the device to make it available.  But
under V4 the driver won't accept the QIO because its not available and you
can't make the driver available because it won't accept the QIO (Catch-22).
-----
Thomas J. Linscomb aka linscomb@ut-ngp.arpa
The University of Texas Computation Center