[fa.info-vax] DECnet announcement...

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/08/85)

From: Kevin Carosso <engvax!KVC@cit-vax>

In a recent issue of  "Digital Design" (July 1985) there appears the
following announcement:

"Digital Equipment Corp. has announced that DECnet protocols will be
 replaced with ISO OSI international stabdard networking software;
 this will allow intervendor networks with other machines supporting
 ISO or MAP 802.4 hardware and software."

Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?  I assume that if so
DEC will retain the user-level form and function of DECnet...

	/Kevin Carosso          engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

info-vax@ucbvax.ARPA (08/08/85)

From: Hugh Gamble <hugh@ucl-cs.arpa>

It would appear to be fact...

This is in the August issue of the DEC Product Update published
in England.

        Open Systems Interconnection

        Digital is continuing its commitment to
        international communications standards by:

        Modifying the lower layers of the Digital
        Network Architecture to further comply with
        the recently approved Open System Interconnect
        layers.

The artical continues saying that X.400 mail will begin to be
incorporated into DEC product during 1986 and that X.25 support
will be updated to the revised 1984 CCITT X.25.

kotter@muscat.UUCP (Rich Kotter) (08/12/85)

> "Digital Equipment Corp. has announced that DECnet protocols will be
>  replaced with ISO OSI international stabdard networking software;
>  this will allow intervendor networks with other machines supporting
>  ISO or MAP 802.4 hardware and software."
>
> Does anyone know if this is fact or fiction?  I assume that if so
> DEC will retain the user-level form and function of DECnet...
>
> 	/Kevin Carosso          engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
> 	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

Yes, this is fact.
--