[comp.sys.mips] MIPS chip compatibility

jmarek@td2cad.intel.com (John Marek) (07/24/89)

Question:  Are the MIPS R2000 and R3000 chips fully instruction-set
compatible?  If not, is the R2000 fully upward compatible to the R3000, and
what R3000 instructions are not downward compatible.

What is MIPS's commitment to instruction-set compatibility in future versions
of the R-series chips?

Thanks.

John.
--
     John Marek                                     jmarek@td2cad.intel.com
             "Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

     Any opinions in the above text are my own but feel welcome to use them.

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (07/25/89)

In article <2171@td2cad.intel.com> jmarek@td2cad.intel.com (John Marek) writes:

>Question:  Are the MIPS R2000 and R3000 chips fully instruction-set
>compatible?  If not, is the R2000 fully upward compatible to the R3000, and
>what R3000 instructions are not downward compatible.

The R2000 and R3000 are 100% ISA-compatible.  The only differences are in the
areas of cache interface (direct drive supported) and functionality (refill
line size, read-modify-write on partial word stores), and are totally
invisible to software.

>What is MIPS's commitment to instruction-set compatibility in future versions
>of the R-series chips?

Future versions of the chips will fully support the ISA as currently
documented for the R2000 and R3000.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM