[comp.sys.mips] named doesn't start during boot sequence

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (07/25/89)

/etc/init.d/netdaemons wants to start up named by giving it a boot
file of /etc/named.boot (the usual location), but the boot file is
really in /etc/named.d/named.boot; thus, as the system is distributed,
named won't ever start up.

OS: RISC/os 4.0
Configuration:  MIPS M/120, 16MB, 2 328MB disks, cartridge tape, etc.

Suggested workaround:  Fix /etc/init.d/netdaemons

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (07/25/89)

In article <449@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:

>/etc/init.d/netdaemons wants to start up named by giving it a boot
>file of /etc/named.boot (the usual location), but the boot file is
>really in /etc/named.d/named.boot; thus, as the system is distributed,
>named won't ever start up.

Duly entered as #4811.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM

wje@orac (William J. Earl) (07/26/89)

In article <449@indri.primate.wisc.edu>, bin@primate (Brain in Neutral) writes:

> /etc/init.d/netdaemons wants to start up named by giving it a boot
> file of /etc/named.boot (the usual location), but the boot file is
> really in /etc/named.d/named.boot; thus, as the system is distributed,
> named won't ever start up.
>

> OS: RISC/os 4.0
> Configuration:  MIPS M/120, 16MB, 2 328MB disks, cartridge tape, etc.
>
> Suggested workaround:  Fix /etc/init.d/netdaemons
>
> Paul DuBois
> dubois@primate.wisc.edu

      The intent is that named not be started by default, since it
requires explicit prior configuration.  Further, some sites may well
wish to leave it disabled.  As the release notes observe:

       RISC/os 4.00 supports named, the	Internet domain	name
       server.	To start named,	edit /etc/named.boot.  See
       named(8-BSD) for	more information.

named(8-BSD) notes:

     Without any arguments, named will read the default boot file
     /etc/named.boot, read any initial data and listen for
     queries.

The files /etc/named.d/named.boot and /etc/named.d/named.boot.master
are sample configuration files (from Berkeley) for "slave" and "master"
named configurations.  The manual page should mention this.  I have
recorded this as bug 4813.