[comp.sys.mips] Postscript printer for the M120

gavin@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Gavin C. H. Zau) (07/24/89)

	We have just bought a Apple laserwriter II NTX for our
M120.  Is there any program that would plot data for postscript
printing?  and is there any text formatting and outputting programs
that works?  Any information on hooking up and programs for using
the MIPS and the postscript printer will be appreciated.
Thanks.

--
Gavin Zau	Dept of Chemical Engineering, MIT
		gavin@caf.mit.edu	mefl@eagle.mit.edu

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (07/25/89)

In article <2902@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:

>	We have just bought a Apple laserwriter II NTX for our
>M120.  Is there any program that would plot data for postscript
>printing?  and is there any text formatting and outputting programs
>that works?  Any information on hooking up and programs for using
>the MIPS and the postscript printer will be appreciated.

Contact Adobe.  Transcript, and perhaps other of their Postscript tools, are
ported to MIPS RISComputers.

Contact Phil Smith at 415-961-4400.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (07/25/89)

From article <23983@abbott.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> In article <2902@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> gavin@mit-caf.UUCP (Gavin C. H. Zau) writes:
>>
>>	We have just bought a Apple laserwriter II NTX for our
>>M120.  Is there any program that would plot data for postscript
>>printing?  and is there any text formatting and outputting programs
>>that works?  Any information on hooking up and programs for using
>>the MIPS and the postscript printer will be appreciated.
>
> Contact Adobe.  Transcript, and perhaps other of their Postscript tools, are
> ported to MIPS RISComputers.
Another possibility is to use thack, which was recently posted to the net.
It takes old-style troff and converts it to PostScript.  As its name implies,
thack isn't commercial quality, so you wouldn't want to use it for production
work, but for getting output, it's a quick start, and old troff comes with
standard output with -t to avoid the dread "Typesetter busy" message.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (07/25/89)

From article <453@indri.primate.wisc.edu>, by bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral):
> thack isn't commercial quality, so you wouldn't want to use it for production
> work, but for getting output, it's a quick start, and old troff comes with
> standard output with -t to avoid the dread "Typesetter busy" message.

Oops,tThat should be:
thack isn't commercial quality, so you wouldn't want to use it for production
work, but for getting output, it's a quick start, and old troff comes with
the system anyway (I believe).  Don't forget to send the output to
standard output with -t to avoid the dread "Typesetter busy" message.

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (07/26/89)

In article <143@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>thack isn't commercial quality, so you wouldn't want to use it for production
>work, but for getting output, it's a quick start, and old troff comes with
>the system anyway (I believe).

Old troff comes with the bsd43 command tree (free but optionally installable)
on release 4.0 and subsequent releases.