[comp.sys.mips] Available software for MIPS?

rcpt@eutrc4.urc.tue.nl (Piet Tutelaers) (08/15/89)

I am interested to hear from people in the ``MIPS User's community'' which
of the following public domain and commercial software has been ported to/
is available for MIPS architectures:
     TeX (PD-including drivers and previewers)
     GNUsoftware (gcc, emacs, .....)
     ditroff (AT&T)
     transcript (ADOBE).

Any information is welcome.

uucp:   rcpt@eutrc4.UUCP      | Piet Tutelaers        Room  RC 1.90
bitnet: rcpt@heithe5.BITNET   | Eindhoven University of  Technology
phone:  +31 (0)40 474541      | P.O. Box 513, 5600 MB Eindhoven, NL

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (08/17/89)

In article <845@eutrc3.urc.tue.nl>, rcpt@eutrc4 (Piet Tutelaers) writes:

>I am interested to hear from people in the ``MIPS User's community'' which
>of the following public domain and commercial software has been ported to/
>is available for MIPS architectures:
>     TeX (PD-including drivers and previewers)
>     GNUsoftware (gcc, emacs, .....)
>     ditroff (AT&T)
>     transcript (ADOBE).

I have an M-2000.  I have installed TeX and several dvi->ps drivers
without any problems.  I got texx2 to run, but is doesn't work right
(many of the characters get randomly placed on the page).  I don't
think that it will be too hard to fix when I take a moment.  I have
transcript running, and troff that we bought from MIPS.  I have a
voodoo emacs running (capable of crashing the machine) and MIPS
supplies an older version that is probably more stable.  I am playing
with gcc, g++, and gdb.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

lgy@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence Yaffe) (08/18/89)

In article <10815@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:

 >I have an M-2000.  I have installed TeX and several dvi->ps drivers
 >without any problems.  I got texx2 to run, but is doesn't work right
 >(many of the characters get randomly placed on the page).  I don't
 >think that it will be too hard to fix when I take a moment.  I have

 >George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 > MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
 >hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

I've installed texx2 on my M/2000 and it seems to work fine, after
working around a compiler problem involving signe extension of
compile time constants.  One header file (the one which defines
macros to putting & getting multi-byte integers) needed an #ifdef mips,
similar to a Sun-specific special case that was already present.
I forget the name of the relevant header file, but it was the
one in the .h directory which the README spcifically directed
one to check in case of problems.  I reported the compiler
problem to MIPS and was told that it was fixed in the 2.1
compilers (which I've not yet received).
Prior to fixing this, I had the same problem that George referred to.
Note that this problem affects not just the texx2 executable, but
also the gftobnf conversion program and the .bnf files it produces.
So after adding the appropriate #ifdef in the source, be sure to
regenerate all the .snf files for TeX fonts.

--
Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	  Bitnet: yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet

davide@attctc.Dallas.TX.US (David Engel) (08/19/89)

In article <10815@boulder.Colorado.EDU>, hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) writes:
> supplies an older version that is probably more stable.  I am playing
> with gcc, g++, and gdb.

Have you had any luck with gcc and g++.  I tried a few weeks ago on our M/500
but didn't get very far.  I was able to get gcc to compile just fine after
applying a few hacks but the executables would always dump core for anything
larger than a trivial test program.

My ultimate goal is to get g++ working.  If you do get it working, please let
me know what you had to do.

					David Engel

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (08/23/89)

In article <3291@blake.acs.washington.edu> lgy@blake.acs.washington.edu (Laurence Yaffe) writes:
>I reported the compiler
>problem to MIPS and was told that it was fixed in the 2.1
>compilers (which I've not yet received).

Before anyone starts clamoring for the 2.10 compilers, let me point out
that they will not be available before November at the earliest.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM