[comp.sys.mips] ksh on mips

busby@lll-lcc.UUCP (Lee Busby) (08/23/89)

I'm porting the ATT Toolchest Korn Shell (my tar file is dated 5 Sept 87)
to our MIPS M/120 running 3.10.  It compiles just fine and seems to
run ok, BUT parameter expansion (echo *) is all messed up.  Anyone
else already succeeded in this task?

arnold@mathcs.emory.edu (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (08/25/89)

In article <2576@lll-lcc.UUCP> busby@lll-lcc.llnl.gov.UUCP (Lee Busby) writes:
>I'm porting the ATT Toolchest Korn Shell (my tar file is dated 5 Sept 87)
>to our MIPS M/120 running 3.10.  It compiles just fine and seems to
>run ok, BUT parameter expansion (echo *) is all messed up.  Anyone
>else already succeeded in this task?

The MIPS may have fooled the ksh configuration stuff into thinking it's
completely System V, and ksh would be using reads of 16 bytes to get
directory entries instead of the library readdir sort of stuff, since
the MIPS uses the Berkeley FFS.  See if you can determine how ksh is reading
directories.

I note here that there is a newer versoin of ksh than what you have, which
it would probably be worthwhile to upgrade to.
--
Arnold Robbins -- Emory University Computing Center | Laundry increases
DOMAIN: arnold@unix.cc.emory.edu		    | exponentially in the

pjt@druhi.ATT.COM (Paul James Taysom) (08/25/89)

(Our mailer kept bouncing my attempts to reply to you so I'm posting)

In article <2576@lll-lcc.UUCP>, busby@lll-lcc.UUCP (Lee Busby) writes:
> I'm porting the ATT Toolchest Korn Shell (my tar file is dated 5 Sept 87)
> to our MIPS M/120 running 3.10.  It compiles just fine and seems to
> run ok, BUT parameter expansion (echo *) is all messed up.  Anyone
> else already succeeded in this task?

The MIPS supports only BSD fast file system so you must compile
expand.c with the -DSD_4_2 option.  You may also find
problems handling some signals under 4.0.  I had to add calls to
sigrelse in stdsigs() in fault.c.
Paul James Taysom
AT&T Bell Labs
(303)457-1981