[comp.sys.mips] Help wanted getting MIPS box operational

asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) (10/04/89)

We just got in a MIPS RS 2030 box.  I am having a devil of a time
getting it operational.  It boots, I start looking at some files, find
one that I want to modify, vi the file, and vi will seemingly randomly
crash & fill the screen with 1's or 2's.  I can only get it back by
hard rebooting (control/alt/delete).  This has happened about 6 or 7
times now - I have lost count.

I think that the problem is related to not knowing what terminal type
the console emulates.  I have been setting it to 'vt100' - that is what
is in /etc/ttytype after all.  I have yet to find anything in the
documentation that tells me what I should be doing, & I am already most
of the way through the Sys Admin's guide.

Frustratedly yours,
	--asp@uunet.uu.net (Andrew Partan)
	ASN.1 Object Identifier: "{joint-iso-ccitt mhs(6) group(6) 157}"

mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula) (10/06/89)

In article <69198@uunet.UU.NET> asp@uunet.UU.NET (Andrew Partan) writes:
>I think that the problem is related to not knowing what terminal type
>the console emulates.  I have been setting it to 'vt100' - that is what
>is in /etc/ttytype after all.  I have yet to find anything in the
>documentation that tells me what I should be doing, & I am already most
>of the way through the Sys Admin's guide.

The graphics terminal window emulates an 'ansi' terminal.

--
Mohan Vedula
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.                    {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!mohan