[comp.sys.mips] graphics question from somebody who can't post directly

mash@mips.COM (John Mashey) (10/06/89)

From andre%kean.ucs.mun.ca%ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca@mips.com Wed Oct  4 22:53 PDT 1989
Subject: Help!!  (graphics...)
   I saw your posting on anews: comp.sys.mips and since I don't seem
to be able to post any messages myself, I thought I'd send one to you
and see if you could help me.

   My problem is the following:  I would like to know how to do
simple graphics using a Mips M/120 (graphics display: Textronix 4014
and/or dec vt240).  I have tried to use the graph command with
the plot filter  (plot.3x) without getting anywhere.
I have also tried to write some simple C program and link
with the option -l4014 (as described in PLOT(3X-BXD)) but ld
complained that it didn't recognize the option.

I would appreciate if anyone could tell me if there is anyway
to do even primitive graphics using either the C or the FORTRAN
compiler on a M/120.

Please let me know if you (or somebody you know) can help.  If not
I would really appreciate if you could post this on anews for me.

Thanx in advance.

                Andre Roberge
andre@mun.bitnet

UUCP: 	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!mash  OR  mash@mips.com
DDD:  	408-991-0253 or 408-720-1700, x253

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/06/89)

From article <28838@winchester.mips.COM>, by mash@mips.COM (John Mashey):
> From andre%kean.ucs.mun.ca%ugw.utcs.utoronto.ca@mips.com Wed Oct  4 22:53 PDT 1989
>
>    My problem is the following:  I would like to know how to do
> simple graphics using a Mips M/120 (graphics display: Textronix 4014
> and/or dec vt240).  I have tried to use the graph command with
> the plot filter  (plot.3x) without getting anywhere.
> I have also tried to write some simple C program and link
> with the option -l4014 (as described in PLOT(3X-BXD)) but ld
> complained that it didn't recognize the option.

Make sure you are compiling/linking in the BSD environment.  /usr/lib doesn't
have any lib4014.a (on my machine - M/120, RISC/os 4.01), but
/usr/bsd43/usr/lib does.  There's a libplotgigi.a there, too, so perhaps
-lplotgigi would work (does VT240 do ReGIS?).

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu