[comp.sys.mips] Disks for M/120

wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) (10/26/89)

	I am interested in third-party sources for disks for a MIPS M/120
system.  I would like to purchase a ~600 Mbyte drive in a shoebox with
a cable.  I would prefer to buy from someone who knows what a MIPS computer
is.

Bill Pearson

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (10/27/89)

In article <2171@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, wrp@biochsn (William R. Pearson) writes:

>	I am interested in third-party sources for disks for a MIPS M/120
>system.  I would like to purchase a ~600 Mbyte drive in a shoebox with
>a cable.  I would prefer to buy from someone who knows what a MIPS computer
>is.
>
>Bill Pearson

I can't get a reply to wrp@biochsn.  Bill, do you know what a valid
net address might be?
g.

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU  ..!{ncar,nbires}!boulder!hartzell

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (10/27/89)

In article <2171@hudson.acc.virginia.edu>, wrp@biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:

> 	I am interested in third-party sources for disks for a MIPS M/120
> system.  I would like to purchase a ~600 Mbyte drive in a shoebox with
> a cable.  I would prefer to buy from someone who knows what a MIPS computer
> is.
>
> Bill Pearson

we have used WREN V's bought directly from Imprimis
(our cost was <<$2,000 but yours shouldn't be much higher).
For power supplys, we got a PC-box from Digital Electronics
(in the back of Byte magazine) that holds two drives for $149.
make sure you say two wren drives as they have high current requirements.
i just got some WREN VI's; it worked stratightaway after being plugged
in on our MIPS machine. The advantages of a WREN VI are
	1) the mips disktab is nearly right for them (the wren v entry
		is for some small wren v of about 330MB, ours where
		the 702MB ones).
	2) they are bigger than wren v's by about 60MB
	3) they have a faster seek time
	4) cost only a tad more ($75 for us).
	5) have a delivery time of about 3-4 weeks, not the 1 year
		that wren v's have.

gdo@cbnewsm.ATT.COM (glenn.d.o'donnell) (10/28/89)

In article <2171@hudson.acc.virginia.edu> wrp@biochsn (William R. Pearson) writes:

>	I am interested in third-party sources for disks for a MIPS M/120
>system.  I would like to purchase a ~600 Mbyte drive in a shoebox with
>a cable.  I would prefer to buy from someone who knows what a MIPS computer
>is.
>
>Bill Pearson

We have just started looking at the MIPS systems (especially the M/2000)
and the local MIPS salespeople have just signed on a local distributor as
a VAR.  The company and the contact are:

CITA Technologies, Inc
860 Broad Street
Emmaus, PA 18049
Phone: (215)965-3552
Ask for Jeff Thomas

We have been dealing with these guys for a few years and they're great.
We've been buying Clearpoint memory, Fuji disks, and Exabyte tape units
from them for our Suns.

Glenn O'Donnell
AT&T Bell Laboratories
att!aloft!gdo  OR   gdo%aloft@research.att.com