[comp.sys.mips] Usability of RS2030/1210 keyboards

cczanj@clan.nott.ac.uk (Andy Jack) (11/17/89)

We've had a MIPS RS2030 and RS1210 for some little time now and I find
the PC-style keyboard less than friendly. I know xmodmap can swap the
meanings of keys about but is there a way to emulate more closely the VT100
keyboard? Like can I get the Num Lock key to be treated as PF1 by xterm?
Can xmodmap (or something else) bind the sequence "Esc [ P" to a
single keystroke?

Sorry if this is a naive question.

	Andy

mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula) (11/22/89)

In article <9572@robin.cs.nott.ac.uk> cczanj@clan.nott.ac.uk (Andy Jack) writes:
>We've had a MIPS RS2030 and RS1210 for some little time now and I find
>the PC-style keyboard less than friendly. I know xmodmap can swap the
>meanings of keys about but is there a way to emulate more closely the VT100
>keyboard? Like can I get the Num Lock key to be treated as PF1 by xterm?
>Can xmodmap (or something else) bind the sequence "Esc [ P" to a
>single keystroke?
>
>Sorry if this is a naive question.
>
>	Andy

You can use xmodmap to achieve this. Create a file (typically
called .xmodmaprc) and put the following:

remove mod5 = Num_Lock
keysym Num_Lock = KP_F1

and invoke xmodmap.
--
Mohan Vedula                                mohan@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.                 {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!mohan