[comp.sys.mips] curses 8 bits

laporte@sobmips.UUCP (p.laporte) (11/15/89)

We are using curses to do screen handling and need to use the 8 bits
to represent french characters. Our sreens are vt220 (NCR4970).
Our problem is that curses always strips the eight bit. Has anyone
succeded in convincing curses to accept and output the full 8 bits of
the characters. (raw is not sufficient).

Pierre Laporte
{attcan,mcgill-vision,telly}!sobeco!laporte

andre@targon.UUCP (andre) (11/21/89)

In article <1989Nov14.181722.8266@sobmips.UUCP> laporte@sobmips.UUCP (p.laporte) writes:
}We are using curses to do screen handling and need to use the 8 bits
}to represent french characters. Our sreens are vt220 (NCR4970).
}Our problem is that curses always strips the eight bit. Has anyone

Use the A_ALTCHARSET attribute to get to the upper half of the
terminal character set and make sure that your terminfo knows
that escape sequence then you can use code like
   attr_on(A_ALTCHARSET); addstr("qwx"); attr_off(A_ALTCHARSET);
to print a few box characters (i think).
--
The mail|    AAA         DDDD  It's not the kill, but the thrill of the chase.
demon...|   AA AAvv   vvDD  DD        Ketchup is a vegetable.

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (11/29/89)

In article <1989Nov14.181722.8266@sobmips.UUCP> laporte@sobmips.UUCP (p.laporte) writes:
>We are using curses to do screen handling and need to use the 8 bits
>to represent french characters. Our sreens are vt220 (NCR4970).
>Our problem is that curses always strips the eight bit. Has anyone
>succeded in convincing curses to accept and output the full 8 bits of
>the characters. (raw is not sufficient).

The RISC/os release 4.0 curses library, based on the SVR3.0 version, is
*not* 8-bit-clean.  The version included in the about-to-enter-alpha-test
release 4.50 is derived from SVR3.2, and allows full 6-bit character
support.  This will be released during the first quarter of 1990.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM

mcdonald@aries.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) (11/29/89)

>The RISC/os release 4.0 curses library, based on the SVR3.0 version, is
>*not* 8-bit-clean.  The version included in the about-to-enter-alpha-test
>release 4.50 is derived from SVR3.2, and allows full 6-bit character
                                                      !
>support.  This will be released during the first quarter of 1990.

Should we sell our MIPS and replace it with a 1960's CDC mainframe?

I have always wondered why ANY system would go to all the trouble
of throwing away half of the possible characters in a byte.
Seems stupid.

Doug McDonald

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (11/30/89)

In article <1989Nov29.151738.24726@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> mcdonald@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Doug McDonald) writes:
>>The RISC/os release 4.0 curses library, based on the SVR3.0 version, is
>>*not* 8-bit-clean.  The version included in the about-to-enter-alpha-test
>>release 4.50 is derived from SVR3.2, and allows full 6-bit character
>                                                      ^
>>support.  This will be released during the first quarter of 1990.
>
>Should we sell our MIPS and replace it with a 1960's CDC mainframe?
>
>I have always wondered why ANY system would go to all the trouble
>of throwing away half of the possible characters in a byte.
>Seems stupid.

It's an *8*... yeesh!  One little typo...

--

In article <32364@servitude.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.COM (some fool) writes:
>The version included in the about-to-enter-alpha-test
>release 4.50 is derived from SVR3.2, and allows full 6-bit character
>support.  This will be released during the first quarter of 1990.

Obviously the "6-bit" part wants to say "8-bit"...