[comp.sys.mips] SGI Fortran 3.2

berkley@wugate.wustl.edu (Berkley Shands) (11/29/89)

We recently installed fortran 3.2 on our IRIS workstations.
MUCH better than 3.1 :-)

Now using the "-w" option produces code that executes. Omitting
"-w" on our software produces a warning about jumping into an IF block,
(in code not called). But, the executable won't do I/O. It complains
about i/o errors. Hmmm... cute.

f77 -w -vms file.f -o file.out

ok, at least it works, and the -On option doesn't core dump.
But now "-static" causes an immediate "Killed" to appear when the
.out file is run. Oh, Boy! what a descriptive error message!!!!
Sigh, even 3.1 allowed this to work on the same code.

Better test your code lots before going into production with 3.2 8-) !!

	berkley@wunet.bitnet
	berkely@wucs1.wustl.edu

lilian@mips.COM (Lilian Leung) (12/02/89)

In article <258@wugate.wustl.edu> berkley@wugate.wustl.edu (Berkley Shands) writes:
>We recently installed fortran 3.2 on our IRIS workstations.
>MUCH better than 3.1 :-)
>
>Now using the "-w" option produces code that executes. Omitting
>"-w" on our software produces a warning about jumping into an IF block,
>(in code not called). But, the executable won't do I/O. It complains
>about i/o errors. Hmmm... cute.
>
>f77 -w -vms file.f -o file.out
>
>ok, at least it works, and the -On option doesn't core dump.
>But now "-static" causes an immediate "Killed" to appear when the
>.out file is run. Oh, Boy! what a descriptive error message!!!!
>Sigh, even 3.1 allowed this to work on the same code.
>
>Better test your code lots before going into production with 3.2 8-) !!
>
>	berkley@wunet.bitnet
>	berkely@wucs1.wustl.edu

It would be nice if you can include the test program "file.f" so
that we can check this bug out.  It might have been fixed already
in our newest release.  Despite this bug, I am sure you will find
the 3.2 version a lot better than the 3.1 one.

Lilian
--
UUCP:	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!lilian	(or lilian@mips.com)
DDD:	408-991-7848 Lilian Leung		(or 408-720-1700, Ext. 848)