[comp.sys.mips] 6/8 bits

g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (Gunter Ahrendt) (12/01/89)

>Should we sell our MIPS and replace it with a 1960's CDC mainframe?
>
>I have always wondered why ANY system would go to all the trouble
>of throwing away half of the possible characters in a byte.
>Seems stupid.
>
>Doug McDonald

Whats stupid about cutting down on excessive bits when you are constructing a
scientific mainframe where you do not need 2 cases of letters, you speed up i/o
by 25%, this does not increase, but reduces the amount of problems in a new
system, as it simplifies a number of aspects. Considering that the CDC Gurus
have quite a bit more brains than you seem to, your the one who seems stupid
not to realize this.

shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) (12/02/89)

In article <1407.257709c4@vaxa.uwa.oz> g_ahrendt@vaxa.uwa.oz (Gunter Ahrendt)
writes:

>Considering that the CDC Gurus
>have quite a bit more brains than you seem to, your the one who seems stupid
>not to realize this.

I'm having trouble coming up with a clever, civil, way to respond to this
kind of unpleasantness.  I hope the netnews community (which I have just
joined) will condemn and discourage these unwarranted attacks.

Anyway, CDC is struggling to remain in the computer mainframe business.
They just signed a deal to OEM MIPS machines, and sell them with a CDC
label.  So who's the Gurus now?

Steve Jay
Ultra Network Technologies	Domain: shj@ultra.com
101 Dagget Drive		Internet: ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov
San Jose, CA  95134		uucp:  ...ames!ultra!shj
(408) 922-0100

writes:

>system, as it simplifies a number of aspects. Considering that the CDC Gurus
>have quite a bit more brains than you seem to, your the one who seems stupid
>not to realize this.

I'm having trouble coming up with a clever, civil, way to respond to this
kind of unpleasantness.  I hope the netnews community (which I have just
joined) will condemn and discourage these unwarranted attacks.

Anyway, CDC is struggling to remain in the computer mainframe business.
They just signed a deal to OEM MIPS machines, and sell them with a CDC
label.  So who's the Gurus now?

Steve Jay
Ultra Network Technologies	Domain: shj@ultra.com
101 Dagget Drive		Internet: ultra!shj@ames.arc.nasa.gov
San Jose, CA  95134		uucp:  ...ames!ultra!shj
(408) 922-0100

khb@chiba.Sun.COM (chiba) (12/13/89)

There are important historical facts missing from this name calling:

1)  6 bit chars come from before there were ANY 8-bit chars. Univac
    days, in fact.

2)  Related to (1), in olden times we didn't have mixed case I/O
    devices.

3)  Until S/360, computer words weren't typically 32-bits long. On the
    Univac 11xx machines, for example, we had (have) 36-bit words.
    This makes 6-bit chars attractive. Unless your wordlength is a
    multiple of 8, 8-bit chars are non-obvious.

    The early CDC machines had 60-bit words.

4)  ASCII was originally a 7 bit code. IBM saved us from 49-bit words.

6 was neither stupid, nor as forward looking as to assume that 8 would
someday be normal, but 6 would buy some extra speed. Given that 6 was
relied on by large bodies of existing code, one can understand a
certain reluctance on the part of CDC and UNIVAC to change to 8. Users
really dislike their existing codes breaking....

CDC management has blundered badly over the last N years ... but that
would be a totally different discussion.

cheers all.

Keith H. Bierman    |*My thoughts are my own. !! kbierman@sun.com
It's Not My Fault   |	MTS --Only my work belongs to Sun*
I Voted for Bill &  | Advanced Languages/Floating Point Group
Opus                | "When the going gets Weird .. the Weird turn PRO"