[comp.sys.mips] broken ldexp

ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) (12/15/89)

I think this applies to MIPS in general as well.

-----------------------
From: gwyn@BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn, VLD/VMB)
Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi
Subject: Irix 3.2 (4D) ldexp() function broken
Date: 14 Dec 89 13:34:13 GMT
Sender: daemon@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU

$ cat > foo.c
#include <math.h>
#include <stdio.h>

main()	{
	printf( "%g\n", ldexp( 0.0, 0 ) );
	return 0;
	}
^D
$ cc -o foo foo.c
./foo
$ ./foo
1.11254e-308
$ # answer should be "0"; works properly on all other BRL UNIX systems
$ # I think the problem is that they're treating true-0 as a denormalized
$ # number and "rounding" it.  This is RONG.

mac@rhea.ardent.com (Mike McNamara) (12/19/89)

>  In article <1989Dec14.135452.16496@me.toronto.edu> ip@me.utoronto.ca (Bevis Ip) writes:
>
>  I think this applies to MIPS in general as well.
>
>  -----------------------
>  From: gwyn@BRL.MIL (Doug Gwyn, VLD/VMB)
>  Newsgroups: comp.sys.sgi
>
>  $ cat > foo.c
>  #include <math.h>
>  #include <stdio.h>
>
>  main()	{
>  	printf( "%g\n", ldexp( 0.0, 0 ) );
>  	return 0;
>  	}
>  ^D
>  $ cc -o foo foo.c
>  ./foo
>  $ ./foo
>  1.11254e-308
>  $ # answer should be "0"; works properly on all other BRL UNIX systems
>  $ # I think the problem is that they're treating true-0 as a denormalized
>  $ # number and "rounding" it.  This is RONG.

	One should note that these and other fortran compiler problems
do NOT apply to Ardent's MIPS based systems.

	The distribution of MIPS compilers (and MIPS compiler bugs) is
roughly as follows:
                       +--> PRIME
	MIPS ---> SGI--+--> CDC
                       +--> ???

	I.E., when SGI used the MIPS chip, they also licensed the MIPS
OS and MIPS compilers.  Hence they got a quite nice compiler and OS.
They also get any errors that might lurk therein. (I use "error" instead
of "bug" in the spirit of Dijkstra's column in December 1989 CACM.)
PRIME and CDC (among others) re-sell the SGI boxes, with compiler, OS
and so on. Hence the get the features that SGI has added.

	SGI has introduced new libraries and features to the software
they received from MIPS, and has fixed so errors; but the stuff is
definately derivitive of MIPS Co.

	PRIME and CDC to a large extent simply re-sell the SGI boxes.

	I am not aware whether DEC has retargeted Ultrix f77 to the
MIPS, sells the MIPS Fortran compiler, or perhaps retargeted the VMS
Fortran compiler.

	Ardent uses neither the MIPS OS nor any of the MIPS compilers.

	Hence the line "MIPS in general" in the above context applies
to MIPS Co. machines, SGI's machines, PRIME's PXL machines, CDC's and
perhaps DEC's; it does not apply to Ardent's (nor Stardent's, our new
name)

--
Michael McNamara	(St)ardent, Inc.		mac@ardent.com

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (12/19/89)

In article <MAC.89Dec18161619@rhea.ardent.com>, mac@rhea.ardent.com (Mike McNamara) writes:
> 	I.E., when SGI used the MIPS chip, they also licensed the MIPS
> OS and MIPS compilers.  Hence they got a quite nice compiler and OS.
> --
> Michael McNamara	(St)ardent, Inc.		mac@ardent.com

Ahem.  This is not what I understand to be true.  The impression I have
from outside of the SGI languages group(s), is that we did and might still
buy compiler stuff from MIPS.

However, my recollection of the work done during the SVR3 port to MIPS
chips was that both companies contributed lots of engineering time and
money.  I am only a drudge in the OS and network trenches, but it seemed at
the time as inaccurate to say MIPS got the OS from SGI as vis versa.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com