[comp.sys.mips] Files mysteriously disappearing

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/23/89)

A disconcerting problem.  Twice now in the last few days I've had the
ugly experience of having files disappear.  The entry is still in the
directory (i.e., ls shows the name), but any attempt to access the file
fails.  One of these occurrences was for a plain file, the other was
for a directory (all the files in the directory were lost, too, of course).

No, I didn't rm them by mistake.

Any ideas?

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

ewm@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Eric Markwardt) (12/23/89)

In article <1342@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) writes:
>A disconcerting problem.  Twice now in the last few days I've had the
>ugly experience of having files disappear.  The entry is still in the
>directory (i.e., ls shows the name), but any attempt to access the file
>fails.  One of these occurrences was for a plain file, the other was
>for a directory (all the files in the directory were lost, too, of course).
>
>No, I didn't rm them by mistake.
>
>Any ideas?

We've had similar experiences here at CDC on an M/2000.  I called Mips
and they suggested we upgrade to RISC/os 4.01.  We did this and
no one has complained about anything disappearing since.

We've also had problems with NFS mounted file systems "disappearing".
'df' shows the file system as being mounted, but an 'ls' on the
parent directory of the mount point doesn't show the directory/mount
point.  Doing a 'mkdir' on the mount point causes mkdir to whine about
the directory already being there (which it should).

The only way we've found to fix this is to unmount and remount
the NFS file system -- which can get to be a pain if 30 or 40 people
are looking at source in that mounted file system... :-(

  -Eric

--
Eric Markwardt			ewm@udev.cdc.com
Control Data Corp.

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (12/23/89)

From article <14876@shamash.cdc.com>, by ewm@punjab.udev.cdc.com (Eric Markwardt):
> We've had similar experiences here at CDC on an M/2000.  I called Mips
> and they suggested we upgrade to RISC/os 4.01.  We did this and
> no one has complained about anything disappearing since.

I run 4.01.

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois