[comp.sys.mips] tape drives for PMAX?

sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) (01/11/90)

Someone here is interested to know of any alternatives to the TK50/TK70 for
connecting to a DS3100 system. Are there *reliable* 3rd-party cartridge tape
drives sold for DS3100's? 8mm would be fine, or any others as well.

Please email, and I will summarize.

Mark Sandrock, <sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>

paulr@mips.COM (Paul Richardson) (01/11/90)

In article <1990Jan10.170429.12810@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu (Mark T. Sandrock) writes:
>Someone here is interested to know of any alternatives to the TK50/TK70 for
>connecting to a DS3100 system. Are there *reliable* 3rd-party cartridge tape
>drives sold for DS3100's? 8mm would be fine, or any others as well.
>
>Please email, and I will summarize.
>
>Mark Sandrock, <sandrock@aries.scs.uiuc.edu>

As you probably know,the TK50/70 are scsi tapes as are the disks which the
pmax uses.If you have access to the appropriate sources for Ultrix then you
could hook up any scsi tape and write your own device driver.While I was
still at DEC we played around with running the Exabyte 8mm tapes on the Pmax.
I do not know if they proceeded to make that a supported device.You best bet
would be to call DEC and ask
--
/pgr
I don't want to work,I just want to bang on the drums all day - T Rundgren

{ames,prls,pyramid,decwrl}!mips!paulr or paulr@mips.com