[comp.sys.mips] dvitovdu for M/120 -- is there one, and where can I get it?

usenet@clyde.concordia.ca (USENET News System) (01/10/90)

From: smw@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( Steven Winikoff )

Here at Concordia we're running TeX (but not MetaFont) on an M-120.
Recently some users have requested the ability to preview dvi files
on their terminals.

It turns out that we have something called "dvitovdu"; this file came
on the TeX distribution tape, but it's Modula source and we don't have
a Modula compiler...

Does anyone know if there's a version available anywhere (even if we
have to pay for it!) in Fortran, Pascal or C?

Thanks in advance,

       - Steven

Steven Winikoff                                 smw@maxwell.concordia.ca
Software Analyst
Concordia University Computer Centre            voice: (514) 848-7619
Montreal, Quebec, Canada                               (10:00-18:00 EST)

cczdao@clan.clan.nott.ac.uk (David Osborne) (01/11/90)

In article <1782@clyde.concordia.ca>
smw@maxwell.Concordia.CA ( Steven Winikoff ) writes:
>It turns out that we have something called "dvitovdu"; this file came
>on the TeX distribution tape, but it's Modula source and we don't have
>a Modula compiler...
>
>Does anyone know if there's a version available anywhere (even if we
>have to pay for it!) in Fortran, Pascal or C?

the Modula-2 version of DVItoVDU has been heroically hand-recoded in
C by Mark Hewitt and his colleagues at Kernel Technology in Leeds,
England, and the company are very generously going to make the sources
publically available.  i've been doing the beta testing for Mark and
we hope to have a first release available "real soon now", once my
latest mods and fixes are incorporated into his sources (i am working
on the final changes at this moment). i haven't compiled the program
on our M/2000, as it's not our TeX machine, but Mark has tested it on
a Sequent under BSD and on a System V machine; i've been using a CCI
Power6/32 running SysV.
    i'll be installing the sources in the UK's TeX Archive at Aston
University and sending copies to TeX archives in the US (Washington,
Clarkson).  there'll be announcements in the UKTeX Digest, TeXhax
and comp.text when it's available.

dave osborne
--
     David Osborne       |   JANET: d.osborne@uk.ac.nott.clan