[comp.sys.mips] !pg_ismod

gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) (01/19/90)

In article <1990Jan16.220024.2485@alberta.uucp> gordon@cs.UAlberta.CA (Gordon Atwood) writes:

> [ description etc deleted ]
>
>The only other clue that I can provide is the error message which appears
>on the console just prior to the crash.  The messages was
>     "assertion failed !pg_ismod(pd), file:  fault.c line 284"

Not the old !pg_ismod() problem

We have had a similar problem here at Sydney University.
We have Mips 120 Running Risc/OS 4.01 (with X25 and slip).
The Machine is major networking node so we like to have it
up all the time - hence we use (or rather used to use) cpio
to do our backups.  When we took a full backup,
which usually conisted of 3 or 4 tapes
the machine would crash with a !pg_ismod() problem

---------
PANIC: assertion failed !pg_ismod(pt) file getpages.c, line 622
syncing disks ... (etc)
-------

We now use dump to do backups and just have to put up with the downtime.
We've had lots of problems with the tape drive. It seems to randomly
give ioctl errors when you rewind the tape (although the tape is rewound).

We've reported the problem to our local vendors so hopefully
it's found it's way back to mips by now.

	John McQueen
John Scott McQueen			    |   gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au
University Computing Service, H08	    |   Phone:     +61 2 6923495
University of Sydney, NSW 2006, Australia   |   FAX:       +61 2 6606557

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (02/06/90)

In article <1990Jan19.005159.1560@metro.ucc.su.oz.au> gopher@extro.ucc.su.oz.au (John McQueen) writes:
>Not the old !pg_ismod() problem
>When we took a full backup,
>which usually conisted of 3 or 4 tapes
>the machine would crash with a !pg_ismod() problem
>
>PANIC: assertion failed !pg_ismod(pt) file getpages.c, line 622
>syncing disks ... (etc)

...also fixed in release 4.50.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM