[comp.sys.mips] how do I get DEL to backspace on the MIPS box?

wje@dish (William J. Earl) (02/15/90)

In article <966@uhnix2.uh.edu>, davison@uhnix2 (Daniel B. Davison) writes:
> After more hand-to-keyboard combat that I would care to admit, I
> finally have my MIPS RC3240 believing that it can talk to sun command
> windows and shelltool windows.  Now I have a problem that I think
> relates to the terminal driver.  I have my 'erase' character set to
> DEL (that is, '^?').  But, when I hit the key, the input is erased as
> far as the machine is concerned, but the character erased stays on the
> screen.  Does anyone know how to make DEL behave reasonably (i.e. the
> BSD way)?
>
> Configuration: MC3240, RISC/os (UMIPS)  4.30.PRE-FCS
> Users running the C shell, thru either a Sun commandtool, shelltool, or
> vt100 terminal

Do something like this:

      /bin/stty line 2 echo echoe echok ctlecho -prterase crtbs

The key items are "line 2", "-prterase", and "crtbs".  See the stty(1-SysV)
and stty(1-BSD) man pages.
--
	William J. Earl			wje@mips.com
	MIPS Computer Systems		408-991-0372