[comp.sys.mips] gcc for MIPS?

trimble@laic.UUCP (Gary Trimble) (02/20/90)

Is there a set of gcc configs for the MIPs? How does the produced code
compare with the MIPs cc for performance and size? Disclaimer: our site
does not get the gnu newsgroups. Please let me know.

meissner@osf.org (Michael Meissner) (02/28/90)

In article <792@laic.UUCP> trimble@laic.UUCP (Gary Trimble) writes:

| From: trimble@laic.UUCP (Gary Trimble)
| Newsgroups: comp.sys.mips
| Date: 20 Feb 90 15:09:18 GMT
|
| Is there a set of gcc configs for the MIPs? How does the produced code
| compare with the MIPs cc for performance and size? Disclaimer: our site
| does not get the gnu newsgroups. Please let me know.

GCC now does support the MIPS architecture in both little endian
(Decstation) and big endian formats (normal MIPS).  The current
revision is 1.37.  The biggest problem with the compiler is that it
currently doesn't support debugging (the MIPS assembler doesn't
provide any means for emitting the debug symbol information).  I am
currently working on adding the debug support.  In terms of the code
generated, there are still some rough edges -- I just found out
-fomit-frame-pointer had been NOP'ed in the compiler for example.
Unlike most UNIX compilers, the MIPS compiler has a real optimizer,
and currently generates better code than GCC (boo hoo).
--
Michael Meissner	email: meissner@osf.org		phone: 617-621-8861
Open Software Foundation, 11 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA

Catproof is an oxymoron, Childproof is nearly so