[comp.sys.mips] several questions

richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) (03/01/90)

(Machine: RS2030)

(1) Why does /usr/include/bsd43/sys/proc.h define a proc structure
    apparently completely unrelated to the real one?  Surely it should
    describe the actual proc structure regardless of whether I'm
    compiling in the sysv or bsd environments?

(2) When does MIPS intend to release an R4-based version of X  (i.e.
    one that's fast, supports the SHAPE extension, and has a twm that
    works with R4 clients)?

(3) Why do the ptys start at ttyq0?  (The ttyp? terminals exist, but
    don't seem to be used.)

(4) Is there a some way I can generate an efficient unaligned load
    from C?

(5) talk(1) doesn't seem to work between the RS2030 and Suns.  I
    assume this is because of a protocol difference.  What's the
    simplest way to get it working (preferably without changing the
    Suns)?

Thanks in advance,
-- Richard
--
Richard Tobin,                       JANET: R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed
AI Applications Institute,           ARPA:  R.Tobin%uk.ac.ed@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk

cliff@cpsc.ucalgary.ca (Cliff Marcellus) (03/02/90)

In article <1881@skye.ed.ac.uk>, richard@aiai.ed.ac.uk (Richard Tobin) writes:
> (Machine: RS2030)
>
> (3) Why do the ptys start at ttyq0?  (The ttyp? terminals exist, but
>     don't seem to be used.)

  Yeah.... I've wondered this one too!

> (5) talk(1) doesn't seem to work between the RS2030 and Suns.  I
>     assume this is because of a protocol difference.  What's the
>     simplest way to get it working (preferably without changing the
>     Suns)?

  SUN (STILL!) uses the old talk protocol (check your /etc/services file -
  you should see that talk runs on 517/udp).  4.3BSD uses the newer protocol
  "ntalk" on 518/udp.  The simplest solution, if you are a BSD source site,
  (and if your MIPS are on that license) would be to bring up the 4.2BSD
  talk system.

  (I have one VAX here running native 4.3BSD and whenever people on the SUN's
  try "talk"ing to it, it lets the user know they should be using /usr/old/talk
  instead...)
  I hope this helps...

Cliff

Cliff Marcellus                UUCP     : {any backbone}!calgary!ssg-vax-a!cliff
Dept of Physics and Astronomy  DOMAIN   : cliff@ssg-vax-a.phys.UCalgary.CA
The University of Calgary      SPAN     : CANCAL::CLIFF
OPINIONS WITHIN ARE MY OWN AND DO NOT REFLECT THOSE OF THE UNIVERSITY OF CALGARY