[comp.sys.mips] Using alloca

mak@easyaspi.udev.cdc.com (marlys a kohnke x2793) (03/07/90)

I would like to use alloca to allocate memory on the stack.  The man page
says alloca is machine dependent and its use is discouraged.  Does alloca
work with mips and are there any potential problems with its use?

Marlys Kohnke

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/07/90)

In article <18451@shamash.cdc.com> mak@easyaspi.udev.cdc.com (marlys a kohnke x2793) writes:
>I would like to use alloca to allocate memory on the stack.  The man page
>says alloca is machine dependent and its use is discouraged.  Does alloca
>work with mips and are there any potential problems with its use?

The about-to-be-released 2.10 compilers include alloca.  Include <alloca.h>
and you get a machine-dependent _builtin_alloca; don't, and you get a
portable emulation thereof.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             rogerk@mips.COM