[comp.sys.mips] Banners when logging in

carriero@tron.UUCP (Chris Carriero) (03/06/90)

This may be a stupid question but I don't remember how to do this.

How do you get a banner to type to the screen when you connect to
the system.  This banner would appear before the login prompt.

The banner would say something like "This is an authorized system..."
then say
login:

Chris

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/08/90)

In article <502@tron.UUCP> carriero@tron.UUCP (Chris Carriero) writes:
>This may be a stupid question but I don't remember how to do this.
>
>How do you get a banner to type to the screen when you connect to
>the system.  This banner would appear before the login prompt.
>
>The banner would say something like "This is an authorized system..."
>then say
>login:
>
>Chris

You can:

1) Have a program print the message, then exec getty

2) Put the message in the gettydefs description for the line
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             rogerk@mips.COM

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (03/08/90)

From article <36812@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> 2) Put the message in the gettydefs description for the line

Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by rlogind?

Paul DuBois
Internet:	dubois@primate.wisc.edu
UUCP:		rhesus!dubois
FAX:		608/263-4031

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/09/90)

In article <1841@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <36812@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
>> 2) Put the message in the gettydefs description for the line
>
>Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by rlogind?

None, but then again, you can't print the message *before* the attempt to
log in with rlogin/rlogind, as starting the command *is* the attempt to
login.
--

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (03/09/90)

From article <36832@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> In article <1841@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by rlogind?
>
> None, but then again, you can't print the message *before* the attempt to
> log in with rlogin/rlogind, as starting the command *is* the attempt to
> login.

Oops.  Make that:
	"Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by telnetd??"
in which case you do get the same "RISC/os (hostname here)" message as
that printed by getty.

In article <1849@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>	"Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by telnetd??"
>in which case you do get the same "RISC/os (hostname here)" message as
>that printed by getty.

Unfortunately, the banner is compiled inline into telnetd.  I just submitted
an enhancement request to get it from a file.
--

rayan@cs.toronto.edu (Rayan Zachariassen) (03/09/90)

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:
>Unfortunately, the banner is compiled inline into telnetd.  I just submitted
>an enhancement request to get it from a file.

How about cancelling that and submitting an enhancement request to
exec getty instead of doing the song & dance inline?  I did this once
upon a long time ago with no ill effects.  Its called modularity.

rayan

sms@WLV.IMSD.CONTEL.COM (Steven M. Schultz) (03/09/90)

In article <1849@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>Oops.  Make that:
>	"Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by telnetd??"
>in which case you do get the same "RISC/os (hostname here)" message as
>that printed by getty.

	still none.  the login 'banner' is printed out by 'telnetd'
	itself.  if you want to change the message 'telnetd' prints
	you'll probably have to have the source.

	Steven Schultz
	sms@wlv.imsd.contel.com

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (03/12/90)

In article <36847@mips.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:

>Unfortunately, the banner is compiled inline into telnetd.  I just submitted
>an enhancement request to get it from a file.
>--
One possibility here is to have login read /etc/issue like getty does
(or should). That way any incoming connections can get the msg BEFORE the
login prompt is displayed. For ftpd, the daemon would have to be modified
to do so. I believe that this has been done here at SGI for a future release.

Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon (jweldon@sgi.com)     Fish and guests grow stale after 3 days
SGI Product Support		                           M.F.K. Fisher

Sm@bhpese.oz.au (Scott Merrilees) (03/13/90)

In article <1849@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>Oops.  Make that:
>	"Which /etc/gettydefs entry is used by telnetd??"
>in which case you do get the same "RISC/os (hostname here)" message as
>that printed by getty.

You can do what I have done, which is write a simple program that writes a
message from a file, then execs /bin/login & use said program to front end
rlogind, telnetd &/or login.
--
Scott Merrilees, BHP Rod & Bar Products Division, Newcastle, Australia
INTERNET: Sm@bhpese.oz.au      UUCP: ...!uunet!bhpese.oz!Sm