[comp.sys.mips] MIPS F77 strange message, is this bad?

davison@uhnix2.uh.edu (Daniel B. Davison) (03/22/90)

When compiling some code with the default optimization (-O) I get *9*
copies of this message:

uopt: Warning: harmless compiler bug detected (LDA length 0); please
                                                      report to MIPS

"harmless compiler bug" sounds like being "a little pregnant".  Has
anyone seen this and what should I do about it?

The apparent compiler version is 2.0:
f77  (f77)
        Mips Computer Systems 2.0

and the compile line is:

f77 -O -static -o fubar mipsn.f

I'm using the -static because the SAVE statement isn't working (and/or
my understanding  of it is wrong.  The latter wouldn't surprise me).

Note: can't upgrade, so a workaround would be very much appreciated!

dan

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU
myself.

lilian@mips.COM (Lilian Leung) (03/22/90)

In article <1017@uhnix2.uh.edu> davison@uhnix2.uh.edu (Daniel B. Davison) writes:

>uopt: Warning: harmless compiler bug detected (LDA length 0); please
>                                                      report to MIPS
>
>"harmless compiler bug" sounds like being "a little pregnant".  Has
>anyone seen this and what should I do about it?

Yes, we already know of this.  The message is harmless and does not
affect the code at all.  It has been removed from our uopt.  What
happens is that when you have a null string, then (LDA length 0) will
be generated.  This cannot be avoided.

--
UUCP:	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!lilian	(or lilian@mips.com)
DDD:	408-991-7848 Lilian Leung		(or 408-720-1700, Ext. 848)