[comp.sys.mips] nslookup dead on 3240/4.30-PRE-FCS?

davison@uhnix2.uh.edu (Daniel B. Davison) (03/22/90)

My nslookup appears to have dropped dead.  I'm sure it used to work.

For example:

matrix:/etc[6]:cat resolv.conf
domain          uh.edu
nameserver      129.7.1.19
nameserver      129.7.1.12
nameserver      129.7.1.11
matrix:/etc[7]:nslookup uh.edu
Server:  matrix
Address:  0.0.0.0

*** Request to matrix timed-out
matrix:/etc[8]:nslookup matrix.bchs.uh.edu
Server:  matrix
Address:  0.0.0.0

*** Request to matrix timed-out

But all other resolver functions work:

matrix:~[15]:ftp ftp.uu.net
Connected to ns.UU.NET.
421- ns FTP server (Version 5.91 Fri Mar 16 11:36:35 EST 1990) not available.

And of course ftp.uu.net and ns.uu.net are not in my host table.

Any ideas?  I don't have the $$ for customer support, so I can't
upgrade or ask MIPS (and the machine is out of its 90-day warranty
period, sigh).

thanks in advance,
dan
Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77054-5500/davison@uh.edu/DAVISON@UHOU

"...and newspapers have an obligation to protect young, innocent minds
from the sinister influence of actual thought"  Bill Watterson ("Calvin
& Hobbes") on "Pogo".

myself.

ams@fourier.Princeton.EDU (Andrew Simms) (03/23/90)

I reported this a couple weeks ago, and it is now an official bug.
To my knowledge, it has never worked.

The good part is name service in general works fine, nslookup
does not.
---------------

To: ams@acm
Subject: bugsys: new bug: 06282

The following bug report has been received by the bug system.
It has been entered into the database as bug number 06282.

submitter name:         Andrew M. Simms
submitter org:          Princeton
submitter reference id:
user severity:          serious

synopsis:
nslookup doesn't use the correct default nameserver

  Andrew Simms					ams@acm.princeton.edu
  System Administrator
  Program in Applied and Computational Math
  Princeton University
  Princeton, NJ   08544
  609/258-5324
  609/258-1054 (fax)

  Andrew Simms                                  ams@acm.princeton.edu
  System Administrator
  Program in Applied and Computational Math
  Princeton University
  Princeton, NJ   08544
  609/258-5324 or 609/258-6227

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (03/24/90)

In article <14772@phoenix.Princeton.EDU>, ams@fourier (Andrew Simms) writes:
>I reported this a couple weeks ago, and it is now an official bug.
>To my knowledge, it has never worked.
>
>The good part is name service in general works fine, nslookup
>does not.
>---------------

I pointed out to dan that he could use nslookup (clumsily, but it
works) by  starting nslookup with no arguments, and then give it the
server command with the *numeric* internet address of the server you
want to be using.  Subsequent queries then work.

e.g.

(jackal)[9:14am]~>>/usr/etc/nslookup
Default Server:  jackal
Address:  0.0.0.0

> server 128.138.212.1
Default Server:  [128.138.212.1]
Address:  128.138.212.1

> prep.ai.mit.edu
Server:  [128.138.212.1]
Address:  128.138.212.1

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    prep.ai.mit.edu
Address:  18.71.0.38

g.

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell