[comp.sys.mips] bug f77

laporte@sobeco.com (p.laporte) (03/23/90)

When compiling this small program (f77 prog.f)

      structure /cont/
        real taux_commission /0/
        integer generation /0/
        integer version /0/
      end structure
      record /cont/ cn
10    write(*,*) 'writem ier '
      cn.generation = 0
      stop
      end

we get the following messages

as1: Error: , line 0: .float or .double not on word boundary
as1: Error: , line 0: .word not on word boundary
as1: Error: , line 0: .word not on word boundary

If we remove a character from the string in line 10 the message disappears.

Is this bug removed from the 2.10 version of the fortran compiler.
We are running version 2.00.

tks

Pierre Laporte
laporte@Sobeco.com

laporte@sobeco.com (p.laporte) (03/27/90)

The fortran compiler loops when compiling this small program

      data n/1/
      i = 1
      mem(i) = mem(i)
      j = mem(i)
      stop
      end

Has this been fixed in the 2.10 version of f77 ?
We are still using version 2.00

Tks

Pierre Laporte
laporte@Sobeco.com

lilian@mips.COM (Lilian Leung) (03/27/90)

In article <1990Mar23.080057.12654@sobeco.com> laporte@sobeco.com (p.laporte) writes:
>When compiling this small program (f77 prog.f)
>
>      structure /cont/
>        real taux_commission /0/
>        integer generation /0/
>        integer version /0/
>      end structure
>      record /cont/ cn
>10    write(*,*) 'writem ier '
>      cn.generation = 0
>      stop
>      end
>
>we get the following messages
>
>as1: Error: , line 0: .float or .double not on word boundary
>as1: Error: , line 0: .word not on word boundary
>as1: Error: , line 0: .word not on word boundary
>
>If we remove a character from the string in line 10 the message disappears.
>
>Is this bug removed from the 2.10 version of the fortran compiler.
>We are running version 2.00.
>
>tks
>
>Pierre Laporte
>laporte@Sobeco.com

Yes, the above was a bug in our 2.0 compiler.  It has been fixed in
our 2.10 version.
--
UUCP:	{ames,decwrl,prls,pyramid}!mips!lilian	(or lilian@mips.com)
DDD:	408-991-7848 Lilian Leung		(or 408-720-1700, Ext. 848)

In article <1990Mar26.231235.3713@sobeco.com> laporte@sobeco.com (p.laporte) writes:

>The fortran compiler loops when compiling this small program
>
>      data n/1/
>      i = 1
>      mem(i) = mem(i)
>      j = mem(i)
>      stop
>      end
>
>Has this been fixed in the 2.10 version of f77 ?
>We are still using version 2.00
>
>Tks
>
>Pierre Laporte
>laporte@Sobeco.com

No, this has not been fixed in our 2.10 version.  We will file it
as a bug and fix it in our later version.  It loops because our
compiler tries to substitute the statement function mem() in
	j = mem(i)
with the RHS of its definition, which happens to be the same as
the statement function itself, so it goes into an infinite loop trying
to resolve the function.  The solution will be to generate an error msg
for this.