[comp.sys.mips] What is a lost TXON 63 error mean?

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (05/25/90)

Our console has on a couple of occasions reported the following error:

  "Lance has lost TXON 63"

What does this mean? Everything still seems to be working fine afterwards,
but we're that this might be leading up to something major. Any ideas?
--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (05/26/90)

In article <1990May25.113156.15375@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.UUCP (Peter Steele) writes:
>Our console has on a couple of occasions reported the following error:
>
>  "Lance has lost TXON 63"
>
>What does this mean? Everything still seems to be working fine afterwards,
>but we're that this might be leading up to something major. Any ideas?

It means that, due to driver bugs, traffic, weird network conditions, etc.,
your LANCE ethernet chip found its TRANSMIT off.  Its response is to reset
itself, re-enable itself, and tell you it did it.  I'd worry about hundreds
of these a day; "a couple of occasions" is no problem at all.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    950 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086   voicemail: +1 408 524-7421