[comp.sys.mips] lpd troubles

chauvin@eemips.tamu.edu (Todd Chauvin) (06/07/90)

Hello!

I'm having trouble getting lpd to allow remote hosts to access the
printer queues on our rc3240 (risc/os 4.30).   Simply listing the
remote hostname in /etc/hosts.lpd (I also tried /etc/hosts.equiv) does not work.
The rc3240 returns an error message of the form:

eemips: /bsd43/bin/lpd: apple: Your host does not have line printer access

The only thing that works is creating an /etc/hosts.equiv containing the
single character '+'  (/etc/hosts.lpd with a single '+' does NOT work)
On a large network like ours, this sort of wildcard access to our machine
in unacceptable.  Does anyone know what the problem is?   Is this a problem
with lpd?  Is there more to authorizing a host for remote printer access
than putting their hostname in /etc/hosts.lpd?  Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.  We are getting a lot a pressure from our faculty to get
this working and hope that we do not have to "wait for 4.50"

Thanks,

Todd Chauvin                               chauvin@eemips.tamu.edu
Dept. of Electrical Engineering            chauvin@tamtcsl.bitnet
Texas A&M University

rogerk@spdcc.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (06/07/90)

In article <5665@helios.TAMU.EDU> chauvin@eemips.tamu.edu (Todd Chauvin) writes:
>I'm having trouble getting lpd to allow remote hosts to access the
>printer queues on our rc3240 (risc/os 4.30).   Simply listing the
>remote hostname in /etc/hosts.lpd (I also tried /etc/hosts.equiv) does not work.

/etc/hosts.lpd is not at all intended to work.  We do not support hosts.lpd in
releases prior to 4.50.

>The only thing that works is creating an /etc/hosts.equiv containing the
>single character '+'  (/etc/hosts.lpd with a single '+' does NOT work)

Are you running nameserver?  Some applications require domainized hostnames,
and others do not, in pre-4.50 releases.  Be sure you have your host "foo"
in hosts.equiv as both "foo" and "foo.tamu.edu".

--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086                        rogerk@mips.COM