[comp.sys.mips] what is timed.conf

mwarren@mips2.cr.bull.com (Mark Warren) (06/08/90)

I have a file /etc/timed.conf on all my Mips machines, but it is not mentioned
in the documentation. It contains only a single line:

	Slave

What is it for?
--

 == Mark Warren                      Bull HN Information Systems Inc. ==
 == (508) 671-3171 (FAX 671-3020)    300 Concord Road     MS820A      ==

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (06/08/90)

In article <1990Jun7.190917.7128@mips2.cr.bull.com> mwarren@mips2.cr.bull.com (Mark Warren) writes:
>I have a file /etc/timed.conf on all my Mips machines, but it is not mentioned
>in the documentation. It contains only a single line:
>
>	Slave
>
>What is it for?

It's used to tell the startup scripts what options to use initiating timed,
the time synchronization daemon.  Quoting from the manual page:

          At system boot-time, the file /etc/timed.conf is read to
          determine the machine default configuration.  The first line
          contains the master/slave configuration and should have
          either ``Master'' or ``Slave''.  The second line of the
          configuration file contains other options to pass on the
          command line.  For example,

          Master
          -i MipsEngineering

          will execute ``/etc/timed -M -i MipsEngineering''.

--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    950 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086   voicemail: +1 408 524-7421