[comp.sys.mips] How do I secure console/root logons?

peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) (07/26/90)

I want to prevent users from being able to logon directly to root. I've created
a wheel group and only those users that are in wheel can su to root, but
anyone can still do a direct logon to root from a terminal. How do I prevent
this? Thanks.
--
Peter Steele, Microcomputer Applications Analyst
Acadia University, Wolfville, NS, Canada B0P1X0 (902)542-2201x121

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (07/31/90)

In article <1990Jul25.175020.14184@aucs.uucp> peter@aucs.uucp (Peter Steele) writes:
>I want to prevent users from being able to logon directly to root. I've created
>a wheel group and only those users that are in wheel can su to root, but
>anyone can still do a direct logon to root from a terminal. How do I prevent
>this? Thanks.

While RISC/os does not support the general "secure tty" option of BSD, it
does have one sort of security, at least in release 4.50 and later.

If the file "/etc/login.root.console.ok" exists, root will be permitted to
log in only from the console.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    950 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086   voicemail: +1 408 524-7421