[comp.sys.mips] login and syslog question.

hartzell@boulder.colorado.edu (George Hartzell) (08/10/90)

I have two related problems/questions.  I'm using an M-2000 running
RISC/os 4.50.  I have 48 serial lines strung out through a large
building (almost certainly out of rs232 spec).  Some of these serial
lines are connected to PC's and MACs.  When some of these machines are
turned off login/getty tries to log in "people" with names like
"mkmkk[m[".  Some of my ee type friends tell me that this is because
the M-2000's receive line is no longer tied to ground, and that I can
fix it by placing an "appropriately sized" resistor across the grnd
and receive lines (only definition of appropriate is "one that
works").  I've had mixed success with this, but hope to be able to get
it with a bit of work.

Here are my questions:
	1) Does this sound like the best fix?
	2) Can someone tell me how to get syslog to ignore/dump to
           /dev/null the following messages?   I don't need them
           cluttering up my log files, I *KNOW* it's happening.

Aug  9 00:16:27 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyi11, mkmkk[m[
Aug  9 00:16:27 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyj9, mkmkk[m[
Aug  9 00:16:41 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyh4, MJMJJRIS

Any help/suggestions appreciated.
g.
George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell

jay@mips.COM (Jay McCauley) (08/10/90)

In article <24581@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
<<original problem deleted>>
>	2) Can someone tell me how to get syslog to ignore/dump to
>           /dev/null the following messages?   I don't need them
>           cluttering up my log files, I *KNOW* it's happening.
>
>Aug  9 00:16:27 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyi11, mkmkk[m[
>Aug  9 00:16:27 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyj9, mkmkk[m[
>Aug  9 00:16:41 beagle login: LOGIN TIMEOUT ON /dev/ttyh4, MJMJJRIS

These are LOG_WARNING messages, and can be ignored by changing
/etc/syslog.conf to toss auth.warning.
Here is the default syslog.conf:

*.err;kern,mark.debug;auth.notice		?/dev/console
*.err;kern,mark.debug;auth.notice		/usr/adm/console_log
*.err;kern.debug;daemon,auth.notice;mail.crit	/usr/adm/messages
lpr.debug					/usr/adm/lpd-errs
mail.debug					/usr/spool/mqueue/syslog

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err			operator
*.alert						root

*.emerg						*

Change it to:

*.err;kern,mark.debug            		?/dev/console
*.err;kern,mark.debug            		/usr/adm/console_log
*.err;kern.debug;daemon.notice;mail.crit	/usr/adm/messages
lpr.debug					/usr/adm/lpd-errs
mail.debug					/usr/spool/mqueue/syslog

*.alert;kern.err;daemon.err			operator
*.alert						root

*.emerg						*

This does toss the baby with the bathwater, and as soon as you get the
wiring fixed somehow (I only do software 8-)), I'd recommend turning back on
the auth stuff, as it does provide useful system administrative input.
After changing /etc/syslog.conf, you need to tap syslogd on the shoulder
with a SIGHUP to get it to reread the file.  Alternatively, you can kill
syslogd and restart it.

--
Jay McCauley
MIPS Computer Systems, 928 E. Arques, Sunnyvale, CA 94086 (408)524-8211

jsdy@hadron.COM (Joseph S. D. Yao) (08/17/90)

In article <24581@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>I have two related problems/questions.  ...
>	   ...  I have 48 serial lines strung out through a large
>building (almost certainly out of rs232 spec).  ...
>turned off login/getty tries to log in "people" with names like
>"mkmkk[m[".  ...

Tying a resistor across two leads of an EIA RS-232 serial line is a
very bad idea.  Your EE friends know about "ringing" and things that I
don't really understand, but they don't know the EIA standard.

DISCLAIMER: I'm a "software engineer" (whatever that is), so I tell
people I don't know anything about hardware so they don't expect me
to fix the filthy stuff.  What I know, I've garnered by research and
experience.

Your best fix is to use cables that tie the DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
lead of your remote terminal or terminal emulator to the DSR (Data Set
Ready) lead of your serial port.  Then tell your serial board (if you
can) that this is a "modem" port, and so should be ignored while the
DSR lead is not on.  Many people figure they are winning by tying
together pins 1 (FRAME ground) and 7 (SIGNAL ground), which is quite
illegal by the standard, or leaving pin 1 off entirely; and by putting
a lump of solder over pins 4, 5, 6, 8, 20, and 22, to keep the line up
all the time.  What they win in copper savings, they lose in aggravation
such as yours.  The DEC 1976 Peripherals Handbook is the last one that
had a nice diagram of which pin should be crossed with what in a "null
modem" - type cable; I try not to remember these things any more.

	Joe Yao				jsdy@hadron.COM
	( jsdy%hadron.COM@{uunet.UU.NET,decuac.DEC.COM} )
	arc,arinc,att,avatar,blkcat,cos,decuac,\
	dtix,ecogong,grebyn,inco,insight,kcwc,  \
	lepton,lsw,netex,netxcom,phw5,research,  >!hadron!jsdy
	rlgvax,seismo,sms,smsdpg,sundc,telenet, /
	uunet				       /
(Last I counted ...)

brudley@mips.COM (Brett Rudley) (08/20/90)

In article <905@hadron.COM> jsdy@hadron.UUCP (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:
>In article <24581@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>>I have two related problems/questions.  ...
>>	   ...  I have 48 serial lines strung out through a large
>>building (almost certainly out of rs232 spec).  ...
>>turned off login/getty tries to log in "people" with names like
>>"mkmkk[m[".  ...

>Your best fix is to use cables that tie the DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
>lead of your remote terminal or terminal emulator to the DSR (Data Set
>Ready) lead of your serial port.  Then tell your serial board (if you
>can) that this is a "modem" port, and so should be ignored while the
>DSR lead is not on.  Many people figure they are winning by tying
>together pins 1 (FRAME ground) and 7 (SIGNAL ground), which is quite
>illegal by the standard, or leaving pin 1 off entirely; and by putting
>a lump of solder over pins 4, 5, 6, 8, 20, and 22, to keep the line up
>all the time.  What they win in copper savings, they lose in aggravation
>such as yours.  The DEC 1976 Peripherals Handbook is the last one that
>had a nice diagram of which pin should be crossed with what in a "null
>modem" - type cable; I try not to remember these things any more.

Yes, I agree using a modem port is a good idea.  However MIPS ports
do not pay any attention to DSR, they only watch DCD to decide whether
or not to complete an open on a modem port.  This really should not
matter however because a 'standard' null modem will tie DTR (pin 20) to
both DSR (pin 6) and DCD (pin 8).

On MIPS machines, serial ports can be accessed as either local or modem
ports.  Device files that refer to the port with a minor number of < 128
(high bit off) are local.  If the device file refers to that port with a minor
number > 127 (high bit on), it is a modem port.  These ports usually
have the letter 'm' to signify it is a modem port, ie:

crw-rw-rw-   1 root     bin        0,  1 Jun  8 08:38 /dev/tty1
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     bin        0,129 Jun  8 08:38 /dev/ttym1

Your gettys will now ignore any input until you activate the port
on your MAC and it turns on DTR.

--
Brett Rudley 		       {ames,decwrl,pyramid,prls}!mips!brudley
MIPS Computer Systems	           - or -

k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de (Klaus Steinberger) (08/20/90)

jsdy@hadron.COM (Joseph S. D. Yao) writes:

>In article <24581@boulder.Colorado.EDU> hartzell@beagle (George Hartzell) writes:
>>I have two related problems/questions.  ...
>>	   ...  I have 48 serial lines strung out through a large
>>building (almost certainly out of rs232 spec).  ...
>>turned off login/getty tries to log in "people" with names like
>>"mkmkk[m[".  ...

>Tying a resistor across two leads of an EIA RS-232 serial line is a
>very bad idea.  Your EE friends know about "ringing" and things that I
>don't really understand, but they don't know the EIA standard.
Yeah, but it works, we use that on our old DEC10, there we have
similar problems. (10k from send to gnd, and receive to gnd)

>Your best fix is to use cables that tie the DTR (Data Terminal Ready)
>lead of your remote terminal or terminal emulator to the DSR (Data Set
>Ready) lead of your serial port.  Then tell your serial board (if you
>can) that this is a "modem" port, and so should be ignored while the
>DSR lead is not on.  Many people figure they are winning by tying
That's nice, but impossible most time, because many wirings in the buildings
don't have enough wires.

Best solution on the long term, I think is to eliminate all those
long EIA lines by locally placed Terminalservers. In our installation
most of those long lines will go away through servers, and through
replacement by PC's and X-Terminals (directly tied to the ethernet).

Sincerely,
Klaus Steinberger
Klaus Steinberger               Beschleunigerlabor der TU und LMU Muenchen
Phone: (+49 89)3209 4287        Hochschulgelaende, D-8046 Garching, West Germany
BITNET:  K2@DGABLG5P            Internet: k2@charly.bl.physik.tu-muenchen.de