[fa.info-vax] 4.2. problems

KVC@engvax.UUCP (09/07/85)

> Procedure tells you to set SYSGEN so it will do a "MINUMUM" startup.  It
> then does a reboot and promptly says "No such device MTxy:".
> Analysis: A MINIMUM Startup.COM doesn't do an AUTOCONFIG and thus doesn't
> configure the tapedrive.
> Did my people screw up?  Is the documentation wrong?
> What's the simplest fix?

I don't remember anything about setting it MINIMUM, but then I didn't
read all the Release Notes (I have no 4.2 doc set of my own yet).  In any
case, before the reboot the procedure tells you how to do a conversational
boot if need be.  You can always use that to clear out the "MINI" in
STARTUP_P1.  If worst comes to worst, you can always type in the bootstrap
by hand like I had to (for different reasons).

Since it boots with it's own startup procedure, it seems odd that it even
cares about the MINIMUM...

	/Kevin Carosso           engvax!kvc @ CIT-VAX.ARPA
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.

ps.  Has anyone else been getting duplicates of INFO-VAX or TCP-IP all
     day today?   Stuff looks like it's getting bounced off LOUIE.UDEL.EDU
     back to the mailing list.  This is getting ridiculous!!!!!