[comp.sys.mips] manual bundling silliness

lamy@sobeco.com (j.lamy) (08/23/90)

Anyone at Mips care to comment on why the user documentation set
contains the STREAMS programmer's guide but omits the language and
compilers guide (where the debugger is documented!).  Last I checked,
Mips was still shipping a C compiler and dbx standard with their systems,
and I think that there is a marginally wider interest in that sort of
stuff than in STREAMS programming.

Having to fork off $$$ to get a manual for such basic information
as using the debugger and tips to write efficient code seems absurd.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@sobeco.com, uunet!sobeco!lamy
Groupe Sobeco, 505 ouest, bd Rene-Levesque, Montreal Canada H2Z 1Y7

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug23.012658.6253@sobeco.com> lamy@sobeco.com (j.lamy) writes:
>Anyone at Mips care to comment on why the user documentation set
>contains the STREAMS programmer's guide but omits the language and
>compilers guide (where the debugger is documented!).  Last I checked,
>Mips was still shipping a C compiler and dbx standard with their systems,
>and I think that there is a marginally wider interest in that sort of
>stuff than in STREAMS programming.
>
>Having to fork off $$$ to get a manual for such basic information
>as using the debugger and tips to write efficient code seems absurd.

I agree, I believe this is a packaging error.  I have proposed that the
STREAMS book be moved to the optional programmer's set, and the RISCompiler/C
Programmer's Guide (and possibly the Porting Guide) be moved to the RISC/os
set.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    950 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421