[comp.sys.mips] sendmail.cf for RISC/os 4.5

cantrell@eemips.tamu.edu (Pierce Cantrell) (08/30/90)

The boilerplate version of sendmail.cf being distributed
with RISC/os 4.5 will not work with addresses of the
form user@host.bitnet or user@host.csnet. The problem
is that the sendmail.cf file does not define the
internet gateway, which sendmail.cf attempts to
append to the From: address.

It looks to me like someone at mips built a version
of sendmail.cf using the m4 sendmail compiler and
then edited the results to get the various boilerplate
.cf files. This is a good example of why the m4 sendmail
compiler system should be documented and utilized
by mips.

I notice from the sendmail README files in /usr/lib/cf
that the need for hiding behind and internet gateway
when sending to domain .arpa was supposed to go away.
Since this code is dated in early 1989, I wonder if
this has come to pass?
Pierce Cantrell                           Internet: cantrell@tcsl.tamu.edu
Department of Electrical Engineering        Bitnet: cantrell@tamtcsl
Texas A&M University                           tel: (409) 845-7441

lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) (08/31/90)

cantrell@eemips.tamu.edu (Pierce Cantrell) writes:

>The boilerplate version of sendmail.cf being distributed
>with RISC/os 4.5 will not work with addresses of the
>form user@host.bitnet or user@host.csnet. The problem
>is that the sendmail.cf file does not define the
>internet gateway, which sendmail.cf attempts to
>append to the From: address.

    I use a sendmail.cf developed by the networking support people
at the Univ. of Washington and recommend it very highly - it handles
gateways to bitnet/UUCP/CSnet, multilevel domain abbreviation, and
best of all I didn't have to mess with it to get it to work.  It is
available via anon. ftp from ftphost.cac.washington.edu (in pub/sendmail).

Laurence G. Yaffe		Internet: lgy@newton.phys.washington.edu
University of Washington	Bitnet:   yaffe@uwaphast.bitnet

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (08/31/90)

From article <lgy.652050830@newton>, by lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe):
>     I use a sendmail.cf developed by the networking support people
> at the Univ. of Washington and recommend it very highly - it handles
> gateways to bitnet/UUCP/CSnet, multilevel domain abbreviation, and
> best of all I didn't have to mess with it to get it to work.

Didn't have to mess with it?  That takes all the fun out of it!

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

reggers@uwovax.uwo.ca (Reg Quinton) (09/08/90)

In article <lgy.652050830@newton>, lgy@phys.washington.edu (Laurence G. Yaffe) writes:
>     I use a sendmail.cf developed by the networking support people
> at the Univ. of Washington and recommend it very highly - it handles
> gateways to bitnet/UUCP/CSnet, multilevel domain abbreviation, and
> best of all I didn't have to mess with it to get it to work.  It is
> available via anon. ftp from ftphost.cac.washington.edu (in pub/sendmail).

Another, developed by the networking people here, is available by anonymous
ftp in

	ria.ccs.uwo.ca:~ftp/nic/sendmail

--
Telephone:	(519) 661 2151 x6026 (a real person and not a machine)
Canada:		reggers@uwo.ca (used to be UWO.CDN)