[comp.sys.mips] sendmail using smtp, mail disappear

danny@enrico.UUCP (Dan Chan) (08/22/90)

I am currently trying to set up sendmail on RISC os 4.50
between a Convergent 640 running 6.2-1 and TCP 3.2.5
the mail seems to gone ok from the 640 to Mips but not from Mips
to the 640.  In the /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog file stated that
the mail is sent :
Aug 21 13:34:45 spim sendmail[25192]: AA25190: to=isaac!danny, delay=00:00:03, stat=Sent
But I cannot find the mail on either sides.

(Acctually I have 2 other system, a MicroVax 3600 running Ultrix
and Dec 3100, all running sendmail and appear to
talk to each other ok, except to the Mips computer)

I ran telnet on network port 25(the smtp port) from either the 640 or the
mips side and type in the command
HELO and the mail sequence and so on and the mail went fine.

If I run Mail with the -v option, all I see is "isaac!danny...Sent"
come back.  The Ultrix( Dec Unix) mail -v give me the whole
sequence of mail sending process(the SMTP talk sequence).

Question: is there a option or debug option that I can tell if Mips
sendmail is actually doing it's job ?
(ie can I see SMTP command  in action... HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA... and so on)
or is there a known bug in mips 4.50 sendmail?

Thanks in advance.
DC

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (08/22/90)

In article <1489@enrico.UUCP>, danny@enrico (Dan Chan) writes:
>I am currently trying to set up sendmail on RISC os 4.50
>[...]
>If I run Mail with the -v option, all I see is "isaac!danny...Sent"
>[...]

I noticed something similar on my M-2000 under RISCos 4.50.  It went
away when I set up my resolver correctly (e.g. set /etc/resolv.conf to
point at a valid nameserver).

might be worth a try?
g.

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell

houman@mips2.cr.bull.com (Houman Shafiezadeh) (09/14/90)

In article <1489@enrico.UUCP>, danny@enrico.UUCP (Dan Chan) writes:
> I am currently trying to set up sendmail on RISC os 4.50
> between a Convergent 640 running 6.2-1 and TCP 3.2.5
> the mail seems to gone ok from the 640 to Mips but not from Mips
> to the 640.  In the /usr/spool/mqueue/syslog file stated that
> the mail is sent :
> Aug 21 13:34:45 spim sendmail[25192]: AA25190: to=isaac!danny,
delay=00:00:03, stat=Sent
> But I cannot find the mail on either sides.
>
> (Acctually I have 2 other system, a MicroVax 3600 running Ultrix
> and Dec 3100, all running sendmail and appear to
> talk to each other ok, except to the Mips computer)
>
> I ran telnet on network port 25(the smtp port) from either the 640 or the
> mips side and type in the command
> HELO and the mail sequence and so on and the mail went fine.
>
> If I run Mail with the -v option, all I see is "isaac!danny...Sent"
> come back.  The Ultrix( Dec Unix) mail -v give me the whole
> sequence of mail sending process(the SMTP talk sequence).
>
> Question: is there a option or debug option that I can tell if Mips
> sendmail is actually doing it's job ?
> (ie can I see SMTP command  in action... HELO, MAIL, RCPT, DATA... and so on)
> or is there a known bug in mips 4.50 sendmail?
>

> Thanks in advance.
> DC
Try running /usr/lib/sendmail -d3-17.9 user@host this will give a lot
and I emphasize
alot. Are you running a nameserver or using /etc/hosts to resolve
addresses. If latter
then your hosts in /etc/hosts have to have full domains appended to the
name. Atleast
this is what I had to do to my /etc/hosts.

|Houman Shafiezadeh		||	houman@mips2.cr.bull.com	 |
|Unix Software Development	||					 |
|300 Concord RD.		||					 |
|Billerica, MA 01821		||					 |