[comp.sys.mips] Trouble with Exabyte on RC3240 under RISCos 4.50

stacy@sobeco.com (Stacy L. Millions) (09/12/90)

On a MIPS RC3240 running RISCos 4.50 I have installed
an exabyte drive as unit # 5. The switches are set
according to the 4.50 release notes.

If I boot with:

boot -f dkis()unix showconfig

I can access the exabyte.

If I don't boot with showconfig, the command:

mt -f /dev/rmt/h0 status

returns:

/dev/rmt/h0: No such device.

as does dd, tar, and any thing else that tries
to open the device.

I assume this is a problem with the initialization
of the SCSI devices at boot time, but I have not
taken the time to go look at the device driver since
booting showconfig is a fairly simple work around.
Anyone have a better solution (like a working kernel :-).

-stacy

--
"Eat any good books lately?"                                 uunet!sobeco!stacy
    - 'Q' _Star Trek, The Next Generation_                     stacy@sobeco.com

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (09/13/90)

In article <1990Sep12.151525.16755@sobeco.com> stacy@sobeco.com (Stacy L. Millions) writes:

>On a MIPS RC3240 running RISCos 4.50 I have installed
>an exabyte drive as unit # 5. The switches are set
>according to the 4.50 release notes.
>
>If I boot with:
>
>boot -f dkis()unix showconfig
>
>I can access the exabyte.
>
>If I don't boot with showconfig, the command:
>
>mt -f /dev/rmt/h0 status
>
>returns:
>
>/dev/rmt/h0: No such device.
>
>as does dd, tar, and any thing else that tries
>to open the device.
>
>I assume this is a problem with the initialization
>of the SCSI devices at boot time, but I have not
>taken the time to go look at the device driver since
>booting showconfig is a fairly simple work around.
>Anyone have a better solution (like a working kernel :-).

Did your 4.50 release include a document headed "READ ME FIRST"?  The fix for
this problem is documented therein.

Contact the CRC for either (a) a script you can run in the startup sequence
to clear the drive status, or (b) a driver source patch, whichever you prefer.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421

stacy@sobeco.com (Stacy L. Millions) (09/14/90)

In <41472@mips.mips.COM> rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) writes:

>Did your 4.50 release include a document headed "READ ME FIRST"?  The fix for
>this problem is documented therein.

Unfortunately, by the time I see anything it has been opened, sorted,
added to inventory, lost, found, taken out of inventory, and then
deliverd to me. If we did get a "READ ME FIRST" it didn't make it to
me.

>Contact the CRC for either (a) a script you can run in the startup sequence
>to clear the drive status, or (b) a driver source patch, whichever you prefer.

Thank you very much. Now that's what I call service.

-stacy

--

tony@raid5.uucp (Tony Andrews) (09/17/90)

In article <1990Sep12.151525.16755@sobeco.com> stacy@sobeco.com (Stacy L. Millions) writes:

>On a MIPS RC3240 running RISCos 4.50 I have installed
>an exabyte drive as unit # 5. The switches are set
>according to the 4.50 release notes.

I reported this to Mips after installing 4.50 on our M/120 and was
given a workaround.  Put the following two lines in the file
"/etc/rc2.d/S99LOCALexabyte":

#!/bin/sh
/bin/echo "a scsi_un[5].un_flags = 0\nq!" | /usr/ucb/dbx -k /unix

--
Tony Andrews				uunet!dunike!onecom!raid5!tony
Array Technology Corp.