[comp.sys.mips] Getting NFS/ethernet up on the MIPS RC3240

ramani@jhunix (Ramani Duraiswami) (09/17/90)

A naive question for the MIPS gurus on the net (forgive me if it is
too simple -- I am only a mechanical engineer).

I am trying to get NFS working on our MIPS RC3240 and a MIPS 19" color
workstation. Thin wire ethernet has been installed, The ethernet works
fine between PCs (so I think it is up and running).

Looking through the manual, the procedure, I  think, one needs to
follow to get this beast running is

1) Check if the NFS daemons are running.
2) Assign host names and valid numbers in /etc/hosts
3) Add file systems to be exported to the /etc/fstab file
4) Issue the 'mount' command which creates the mtab file.
5) DO the same on all machines on the network.
6) Reboot the system.

Well I did this and the thing doesn't seem to work.

Questions:
---------
1) Does the above sequence of actions make sense?

2) What should I do next (other than RTFM)?

ANY help will be appreciated.

Thank you
Ramani
e-mail :- ramani@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu OR  ramani@jhunix on BITNET
	  ramani@polaris.me.jhu.edu (preferred)
	  ramani@venus.me.jhu.edu, ramani@uranus.me.jhu.edu

houman@mips2.cr.bull.com (Houman Shafiezadeh) (09/18/90)

In article <6441@jhunix.HCF.JHU.EDU>, ramani@jhunix (Ramani Duraiswami) writes:
> A naive question for the MIPS gurus on the net (forgive me if it is
> too simple -- I am only a mechanical engineer).
>
> I am trying to get NFS working on our MIPS RC3240 and a MIPS 19" color
> workstation. Thin wire ethernet has been installed, The ethernet works
> fine between PCs (so I think it is up and running).
>
> Looking through the manual, the procedure, I  think, one needs to
> follow to get this beast running is
>
> 1) Check if the NFS daemons are running.
> 2) Assign host names and valid numbers in /etc/hosts
> 3) Add file systems to be exported to the /etc/fstab file
> 4) Issue the 'mount' command which creates the mtab file.
> 5) DO the same on all machines on the network.
> 6) Reboot the system.
>
> Well I did this and the thing doesn't seem to work.
>
> Questions:
> ---------
> 1) Does the above sequence of actions make sense?
>
> 2) What should I do next (other than RTFM)?
>
> ANY help will be appreciated.
>
> Thank you
> Ramani
> e-mail :- ramani@jhunix.hcf.jhu.edu OR  ramani@jhunix on BITNET
> 	  ramani@polaris.me.jhu.edu (preferred)
> 	  ramani@venus.me.jhu.edu, ramani@uranus.me.jhu.edu

You add the file systems to be exported to  the /etc/exports file and then
type exportfs  -a  this will allow your machine to export the specified
file systems. Then go to the "other" machine and create a dir and mount the
exported file system from the 3240. If you are not running RISCos 4.50 then
you don't need to execute exportfs -a. Take a look at the man page for exportfs
anyway.

|Houman Shafiezadeh		||	houman@mips2.cr.bull.com	 |
|Unix Software Development	||					 |
|300 Concord RD.		||					 |