[comp.sys.mips] R4 server for RS1210

scott@nancy.uucp (Scott Bartram) (09/27/90)

Has MIPS or NCD released an R4 server for the RS1210 (NCD16)? What version
of the MIPS OS (I currently run 4.01) supports X11R4? Any info
would be appreciated. Thanks.

scott
Scott Bartram                              uunet!nancy!scott
Consultant, American Systems Corp.
Chantilly, VA.

mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula) (09/28/90)

In article <1990Sep26.230626.12151@nancy.uucp> scott@nancy.uucp (Scott Bartram) writes:
>Has MIPS or NCD released an R4 server for the RS1210 (NCD16)?

NCD's R4 server (version 2.2) is currently in Beta.
Mips' R4 (RISCwindows 4.0) is under development.

> What version of the MIPS OS (I currently run 4.01) supports X11R4?

You would need RISCos 4.50.

Mohan
--
Mohan Vedula                                mohan@mips.com
MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.                 {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!mohan

dwl@hare.udev.cdc.com (Daren W Latham) (09/29/90)

In article <41780@mips.mips.COM>, mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula) writes:
|> In article <1990Sep26.230626.12151@nancy.uucp> scott@nancy.uucp
(Scott Bartram) writes:
|> >Has MIPS or NCD released an R4 server for the RS1210 (NCD16)?
|>
|> NCD's R4 server (version 2.2) is currently in Beta.

  NCD has already released their new X11R4 server which is called NCDware 2.2.
  They started shipping software updates around 9/17/90.  We have already
  received ours.  The new release is quite a bit faster than their 2.1 release.
  They have added more configurability to the terminal, and support for SNMP
  so you can control it's configuration remotely without resetting the
  terminal.

|> Mips' R4 (RISCwindows 4.0) is under development.

  Will RISCwindows 4.0 include imake and the necessary configuration files
  to make it easy to port contributed X software that has Imakefiles?

|> > What version of the MIPS OS (I currently run 4.01) supports X11R4?
|>
|> You would need RISCos 4.50.

  Thanks,

    -- Daren

--
Daren W. Latham, ARH215                | dwl@udev.cdc.com
Control Data Corporation               | {uunet}!shamash!punjab!hare!dwl

mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula) (09/29/90)

In article <26401@shamash.cdc.com> dwl@mercury.udev.cdc.com writes:

>  Will RISCwindows 4.0 include imake and the necessary configuration files
>  to make it easy to port contributed X software that has Imakefiles?

Yes; imake, Mips.cf and friends will be part of RISCwindows 4.0 binary
release.

Mohan
--

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/01/90)

From article <41807@mips.mips.COM>, by mohan@mips.COM (Ram Mohan Vedula):
> Yes; imake, Mips.cf and friends will be part of RISCwindows 4.0 binary
> release.

What is the unique preprocessor symbol used in BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS to distinguish
true MIPS machines from all others (e.g., DECstations).

I sure hope it's *not* "mips"...
--
Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu

                 "Was all of this because I wore a big man's hat?"

jtw@lcs.mit.edu (John Wroclawski) (10/01/90)

   From: bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral)

   What is the unique preprocessor symbol used in BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS to
   distinguish true MIPS machines from all others (e.g., DECstations).

Arrgh, yes. I'd like to follow this up by begging the Mips folks to
define a Mips Co. specific preprocessor symbol in their compilation
environment. The current situation is a minor nightmare for any site
with more than one type of mips-cpu based machine.

Our local X11R4 port uses "umips".
					-john
					jtw@lcs.mit.edu

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/01/90)

In article <JTW.90Sep30221730@mercury.lcs.mit.edu> jtw@lcs.mit.edu (John Wroclawski) writes:
>Arrgh, yes. I'd like to follow this up by begging the Mips folks to
>define a Mips Co. specific preprocessor symbol in their compilation
>environment. The current situation is a minor nightmare for any site
>with more than one type of mips-cpu based machine.

Strictly speaking, unfortunately, our cpp doesn't define a Mips Computer
Systems specific symbol because our cpp doesn't define *any*... they're
defined by the command lines in the compiler driver.  However...

>Our local X11R4 port uses "umips".

We use RISCOS.  If you consistently use RISCOS, you won't go wrong.  In
fact, if you use a cpp that defines RISCOS and calls the real cpp, you'll
do fine too.

--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/01/90)

From article <41820@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> Strictly speaking, unfortunately, our cpp doesn't define a Mips Computer
> Systems specific symbol because our cpp doesn't define *any*... they're
> defined by the command lines in the compiler driver.  However...

Yes, we know that.  Many cpp's don't predefine anything.  *Most* of them
won't someday, I suppose, when ANSI C takes hold.  That doesn't matter.
The X installation documents cover that case.  That's what BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS
is for.  You *still* need some unique symbol for MIPS systems.

> We use RISCOS.  If you consistently use RISCOS, you won't go wrong.  In
> fact, if you use a cpp that defines RISCOS and calls the real cpp, you'll
> do fine too.

ARGHH, NOOO!!  This is not unique.  Heard of Acorn Systems in the UK?
I quote from a comp.windows.x article from a while back (note the date
and you see this issue is not new and has been causing headaches for a
while):
Date: 19 Feb 90 12:04:47 GMT

In article <1608@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>From article <KEITH.90Feb15114346@osage.csc.ti.com>, by keith@osage.csc.ti.com (Keith Sparacin):
>> I am looking for a Mips config file (i.e. mit/config/mips.cf) used to
>> build X release 4 on a Mips M2000 running RISC 4.0.  I only need the
>> client side.  Has anyone already done it?
>
>I think this brings up the question of what the right name would be for
>a config file for MIPS computers.  mips.cf, perhaps, but I propose that
>that is somewhat confusing, since MipsArchitecture gets defined for systems
>other than those by MIPS (e.g., DS3100).  How about riscos.cf, since nobody
>but MIPS uses an OS called RISC/os?  The control block I use in Imake.tmpl
>looks like this:

Not true, we sell an operating system called ``RISC OS'' (NOTE - a space, no
/ character).  The more general question is ``given an operating system/machine
called wombat what special symbol should it defined''.  The answer must be
that that symbol should definately start with two _ characters (or one
and an upper case letter) - because the ANSI (and hence ISO) C standard
reserves these names for the implementation (so, the X code cannot be ANSI
conformant and contain (clashing) symbols which start __ or _[A-Z}, can
it? :-|.  It's a pity you can't put a / in a cpp symbol.  You can't put a
space in either...  Our current (not completely ANSI conformant) products
define:-

	ARM
	arm	(both indicate processor)
	unix	(on UN*X type systems)
	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)

In the future we (currently) intend these to become:-

	__arm
	__unix
	__riscos

I would suggest RISCos (not ANSI conformant) or __RISCos (more ANSI like),
although this breaks the pseudo-standard of using lower case.  The real
problem is the lack of a central registration authority for such symbols
(defining things as ANSI reserved names does not deal with this problem!)

John Bowler (jbowler@acorn.co.uk)

Me [bin] again...
My conventions for my own projects are

	mipsriscos		unique preprocessor symbol (for
				BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS)
	MipsArchitecture	hardware architecture symbol for imake
				templates
	MipsRiscosArchitecture	software architecture symbol for
				templates

Yes, they're ugly.  They're (I think) unique and not likely to be used
on other systems.  Can anyone contradict this?
--

In article <3201@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>> We use RISCOS.
>ARGHH, NOOO!!  This is not unique.  Heard of Acorn Systems in the UK?
>	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)

Yes, but cpp is case-sensitive.  When we have an ANSI C compiler, we will
use symbols consistent with ANSI.  For now, use RISCOS for Mips, and if
you wish to, riscos for ARM.
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421
rogerk@mips.COM         {ames,decwrl,pyramid}!mips!rogerk         "I'm the NLA"
"Lead me not into temptation; I can find the way myself."      --Rita Mae Brown

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/01/90)

I should clarify two points from my previous posting:

(1) I don't know if "RISCOS" is indeed unique or not.  However, it is
connotatively very ambiguous since there are two OS's with RISC and OS
in the name.
(2) I hope that my tone did not imply anger at MIPS.  But I have been
frustrated (quite) by the lack of a good symbol for describing true MIPS
systems when building projects using imake.

From article <41823@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> In article <3201@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>> We use RISCOS.
>>ARGHH, NOOO!!  This is not unique.  Heard of Acorn Systems in the UK?
>>	riscos	(on RISC OS systems)
>
> Yes, but cpp is case-sensitive.  When we have an ANSI C compiler, we will
> use symbols consistent with ANSI.  For now, use RISCOS for Mips, and if
> you wish to, riscos for ARM.

Case-sensitive, true, but still confusing.  As a symbol, RISCOS signifies
nothing about the company/product line to which it applies.  It's better
than nothing, perhaps, but I wouldn't say RISCOS qualifies as a good symbol.
Oh, well.
--

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/02/90)

In article <3202@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>As a symbol, RISCOS signifies
>nothing about the company/product line to which it applies.

...no less than "ultrix" or "sun" do... it is our trademark for our operating
system, and it is a name linked to all Mips RISComputers and RISCstations.
--

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/02/90)

From article <41834@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> In article <3202@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>As a symbol, RISCOS signifies
>>nothing about the company/product line to which it applies.
>
> ....no less than "ultrix" or "sun" do... it is our trademark for our operating
> system, and it is a name linked to all Mips RISComputers and RISCstations.

Eh?  What other company beside DEC do you think for "ultrix"?
Or besides Sun for "sun"?

Next question:  What symbol is used to denote the software architecture
for the template files?  I.e., what *Architecture symbol is defined for
"RISCOS" systems in the header block section of Imake.tmpl?
--

In article <3203@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>Eh?  What other company beside DEC do you think for "ultrix"?
>Or besides Sun for "sun"?

Yes, but... my understanding is that RISC/os is a searched and cleared
trademark as of a few years ago, so the conflict is not our problem.

>Next question:  What symbol is used to denote the software architecture
>for the template files?  I.e., what *Architecture symbol is defined for
>"RISCOS" systems in the header block section of Imake.tmpl?

As of right now, pre-FCS, subject to change...

#ifdef Mips
#  define MacroIncludeFile "Mips.cf"
#  define MacroFile Mips.cf
#  undef Mips
#  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
#    define MipsBsdArchitecture
#  else /* BSD */
#    define MipsSysvArchitecture
#  endif /* BSD */
#endif /* Mips */

--

From article <41836@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
> Yes, but... my understanding is that RISC/os is a searched and cleared
> trademark as of a few years ago, so the conflict is not our problem.

OK, fine with me.  I'll let Acorn yell about it if they want.

>>Next question:  What symbol is used to denote the software architecture
>>for the template files?  I.e., what *Architecture symbol is defined for
>>"RISCOS" systems in the header block section of Imake.tmpl?
>
> As of right now, pre-FCS, subject to change...
>
> #ifdef Mips
> #  define MacroIncludeFile "Mips.cf"
> #  define MacroFile Mips.cf
> #  undef Mips
> #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
> #    define MipsBsdArchitecture
> #  else /* BSD */
> #    define MipsSysvArchitecture
> #  endif /* BSD */
> #endif /* Mips */

Thanks.  But...
(1) I thought RISCOS was the unique symbol.  The block is tested against
the symbol "Mips".
(2) I take it that Mips{Bsd/Sysv}Architecture defines the software platform.
I suggest that the symbol MipsArchitecture also be defined, to indicate the
hardware platform, for usage consistent with other platforms listed in
Imake.tmpl, e.g., RISC Ultrix systems, SGI systems.
(3) > #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
Yow.  Why is "#ifdef SYSTYPE_BSD" insufficient?

--

In article <3204@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>> #ifdef Mips
>> #  define MacroIncludeFile "Mips.cf"
>> #  define MacroFile Mips.cf
>> #  undef Mips
>> #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
>> #    define MipsBsdArchitecture
>> #  else /* BSD */
>> #    define MipsSysvArchitecture
>> #  endif /* BSD */
>> #endif /* Mips */
>
>Thanks.  But...
>(1) I thought RISCOS was the unique symbol.  The block is tested against
>the symbol "Mips".

...which is elsewhere defined in the Makefiles.  This was a decision made
by the graphics SW group; OS uses RISCOS, and I don't think either is
likely to change in the near future. *Sigh*

>(2) I take it that Mips{Bsd/Sysv}Architecture defines the software platform.
>I suggest that the symbol MipsArchitecture also be defined, to indicate the
>hardware platform, for usage consistent with other platforms listed in
>Imake.tmpl, e.g., RISC Ultrix systems, SGI systems.

Noted.

>(3) > #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
>Yow.  Why is "#ifdef SYSTYPE_BSD" insufficient?

I think the issue is that code which defines BSD or BSD43 should be
treated as if it were generated in -systype bsd43.  I'm not sure this is
a correct assumption, though.

Also, it's *wrong*.  It should be "#ifdef SYSTYPE_BSD43"... *double-sigh*.
--

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (10/02/90)

>> ....no less than "ultrix" or "sun" do... it is our trademark for our operating
>> system, and it is a name linked to all Mips RISComputers and RISCstations.

In 4.50, though, I still see mentions of "UMIPS".  I wish I knew what I'm
supposed to call it.

>Eh?  What other company beside DEC do you think for "ultrix"?

Well, actually, "ultrix" isn't really unique, since there was Ultrix/11

>Or besides Sun for "sun"?

There are os's named Lynx and Sprite that run on Sun hardware; I don't
know what they define.

--

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (10/03/90)

From article <41849@mips.mips.COM>, by rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese):
| In article <3204@uakari.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
|>> #ifdef Mips
|>> #  define MacroIncludeFile "Mips.cf"
|>> #  define MacroFile Mips.cf
|>> #  undef Mips
|>> #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
|>> #    define MipsBsdArchitecture
|>> #  else /* BSD */
|>> #    define MipsSysvArchitecture
|>> #  endif /* BSD */
|>> #endif /* Mips */
|>
|>Thanks.  But...
|>(1) I thought RISCOS was the unique symbol.  The block is tested against
|>the symbol "Mips".
|
| ....which is elsewhere defined in the Makefiles.  This was a decision made
| by the graphics SW group; OS uses RISCOS, and I don't think either is
| likely to change in the near future. *Sigh*

Mmm.  Mips is defined in the Makefiles?  But the Makefiles are generated
from the Imakefiles and the templates, and the templates test against Mips.
There is a problem here somewhere.

>>(3) > #  if defined(SYSTYPE_BSD) || defined(BSD) || defined(BSD43)
>>Yow.  Why is "#ifdef SYSTYPE_BSD" insufficient?
>
> I think the issue is that code which defines BSD or BSD43 should be
> treated as if it were generated in -systype bsd43.  I'm not sure this is
> a correct assumption, though.

It may be possible to get around it by making sure that imakemdep.h defines
the correct symbols for ccimake/imake when imake is initially built.
Then you could rely on a specific, single symbol in Imake.tmpl.
But again, this depends on the contents of BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS being well-defined
for the initial configuration.  Chicken/egg?