[comp.sys.mips] ld -A

drclark@maytag.waterloo.edu (David R. Clark) (10/02/90)

The man page for "ld" mentions the -A option which should allow
dynamic loading of new code segments.  How is this done (it says
something about allowing the code to be read in but does not say
how to read it in)?  I would really appreciate an example.

hartzell@boulder.Colorado.EDU (George Hartzell) (10/05/90)

In article <1990Oct2.141512.14901@maytag.waterloo.edu>, drclark@maytag (David R. Clark) writes:
>The man page for "ld" mentions the -A option which should allow
>dynamic loading of new code segments.  How is this done (it says
>something about allowing the code to be read in but does not say
>how to read it in)?  I would really appreciate an example.

Pick up a copy of elk.  It uses dynamic loading, and it works on the MIPS.
g.

   >A new release of the Elk Scheme implementation ("Extension Language Kit")
   >is available for anonymous FTP on
   >
   >  mcsun.eu.net   [192.16.202.1]  (~ftp/programming/languages/elk-scheme/)
   >  and
   >  funic.funet.fi [128.214.6.100] (~ftp/pub/unix/languages/scheme/).
   >
   >The file name is elk-1.2.tar.Z (0.5 MBytes).
   >
   >Several people have contributed to this version, among them Don Hopkins
   >(SPARC port), George Hartzell (MIPS port, ECOFF support), Zalman Stern
   >(IBM-RT), Paul Breslaw (HP9000), and Carsten Bormann (portable alloca).
   >Piet Beertema and Tero Mononen kindly helped me to put the distribution
   >on the above FTP sites.
   >
   >Major improvements with respect to version 1.0 (which was posted to
   >comp.sources.misc last year) are:
   >
   >    - support for X11 Release 4
   >    - interface to the OSF/Motif widgets
   >    - better documentation
   >    - ported to new machines (Sun-4, HP9000, MIPS, and others)
   >    - a "portable version" of the software can be installed on new
   >      machines without requiring assembly language support any longer
   >
   >If you don't know what Elk is, or if you don't know whether you want it,
   >you can read the release notes at the end of this message.
   >
   >Regards,
   >--
   >    Oliver Laumann, Technical University of Berlin, Germany.
   >    pyramid!tub!net   net@TUB.BITNET   net@tub.cs.tu-berlin.de

George Hartzell			                  (303) 492-4535
 MCD Biology, University of Colorado-Boulder, Boulder, CO 80309
hartzell@Boulder.Colorado.EDU           ..!ncar!boulder!hartzell