[comp.sys.mips] hardware flow control

was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) (10/26/90)

RISC/os.  This requires hardware flow control (CTS/RTS) to be set
on the port.  I cannot see how this can be done.  The only thing
I have tried is to set the line -CLOCAL to give it modem control.
This did not seem to be successful.  Can anyone help?

Warren Stokes
was@gdwb.oz.au
Geelong and District Water Board
Expires:
was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) (10/26/90)

This is a repost.  I am trying to get a MNP type modem working on
a MIPS box running RISC/os.  This requires hardware flow control
to be set on the MIPS port.  The only flag I could see worth
setting was the -CLOCAL to set modem control.  This did not seem
to give me CTS/RTS flow control.  Can anyone help?

Warren Stokes
was@gdwb.oz.au
Geelong and District Water Board, Australia

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (10/27/90)

In article <540@rome.gdwb.oz.au> was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) writes:
>This is a repost.  I am trying to get a MNP type modem working on
>a MIPS box running RISC/os.  This requires hardware flow control
>to be set on the MIPS port.  The only flag I could see worth
>setting was the -CLOCAL to set modem control.  This did not seem
>to give me CTS/RTS flow control.  Can anyone help?

Hardware flow control (rts/cts) is available on some ports on some systems,
from release 4.50 on (and release 4.02 for M/1000, M/120 and M/2000 systems).
Check the appropriate release notes for availability of this capability, and
use "stty rtscts".
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE                                  MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.
MS 6-05    930 DeGuigne Dr.   Sunnyvale, CA  94086              +1 408 524-7421

brudley@mips.COM (Brett Rudley) (10/30/90)

In article <540@rome.gdwb.oz.au> was@gdwb.oz.au (Warren Stokes) writes:
>This is a repost.  I am trying to get a MNP type modem working on
>a MIPS box running RISC/os.  This requires hardware flow control
>to be set on the MIPS port.  The only flag I could see worth
>setting was the -CLOCAL to set modem control.  This did not seem
>to give me CTS/RTS flow control.  Can anyone help?
>
>Warren Stokes
>was@gdwb.oz.au
>Geelong and District Water Board, Australia

From the 4.50 STTY(1-SysV) man page:

rtscts (-rtscts)    enable (disable) RTS/CTS handshaking.
                    RTS is raised when input can be
                    accepted, lowered when input queue is
                    nearly full.  Output is stopped when CTS
                    is lowered and resumed when CTS is high.
                    Supported only if the controller sup-
                    ports this facility.

If the high order bit of the minor number of the port you are
using is on, than the default settings for that port will be
-CLOCAL and RTSCTS.  That is to say

crw--w--w-   1 root     bin        0,128 Aug 14 15:45 /dev/ttym0
crw--w--w-   1 root     bin        0,  0 Aug 14 15:45 /dev/tty0

are the same except ttym0 will be -clocal and rtscts by default and
tty0 will be clocal and -rtscts by default.

The controllers that support this facility are:
Digiboard ports on a M120/RS3240/Magnum
tty0 and tty1 on a Magnum or RB3125

The other serial controllers do not recognize CTS.

This is available in 4.50 and later.
--
Brett Rudley 		       {ames,decwrl,pyramid,prls}!mips!brudley
MIPS Computer Systems	           - or -